step stair crack to brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to purchase my first property and have noticed a crack on the rear exterior wall starting at the upstairs window going up. It looks like someone has tried to rectify this but the crack has reappeared? The seller got a structural survey done for us which said this wasn’t due to subsidence but more an aesthetic issue that would need remedial work to the pointing. There was some cracks on the inside walls but this may just be where the plaster is old and the gap between the door and frame was off in the same
Room. What also worries me is there is a conservatory extension attached to the rear wall so we cannot see the brickwork underneath. Is this too much of a risk to go through with or not that big a deal? Please help!

Attachments

• 2ACD657F-8059-4BA5-A049-DEB30945A9F0.jpeg
    2ACD657F-8059-4BA5-A049-DEB30945A9F0.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
Wouldn't worry me.
Moved about 3mm. Id get a decent pointing job with yellow sand and replace the cracked brick.

Carry on with purchase imo

There is clearly some movement in the building and as it has been repaired and continued to move it would seem to be ongoing. Something is causing the movement and a stepped crack is a fairly classic symptom of subsidence.
The seller commissioning a structural report is rather pointless, they obviously have a vested interest in playing down the extent of the movement and the structural engineer is working for them not the OP.
For the engineer to suggest it is aesthetic and only requires repointing is clearly wrong as someone has already tried that and it didn't stop the movement. Until you identify the cause of the movement and undertake the necessary repairs then the movement will continue and the crack will probably just keep getting bigger.
The fact that there is a drain pipe adjacent to the crack will always raise suspicions and the underground drainage should be tested as the first point of the investigation.

Whilst not wanting to worry you, I agree with @wessex101 . Someone has repointed and the cracks have come back.

It is beyond my scope of knowledge but it might be advisable to stitch the bricks with helifix bars.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the mortar used to repoint was too strong, hence the re-cracking.

If there is no associated cracking internally, you are good to go.

Re point it with some 4:1 mortar, and use heli bar reinforcement if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back