Steps for Trimming hedges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Probably a dull question, but I am looking for recommendations for a step to use when trimming the top of my hedges - I have a decent hedge trimmer with adjustable head, but infuriatingly it's too short to reach across the whole hedge, meaning that I need to a boost up so I can level the top off.

Previously I have used a step ladder, which was less than ideal as it was too high and wobbly (not ideal when trimming hedges...) so basically hoping there's a sturdy step (or set) that comes up to 1m or so that would allow me to do this.

It may just be something a decent step ladder could do, but I find the set up is a bit awkward and wondered if there was a longer version (similar to the set up some decorators have).

If all else fails I've probably got another step ladder and a rickety wooden plank somewhere...

Sponsored Links
I took top off hedge so it is now just over 6foot tall, so I can use a long lightweight step-up to cut (the new) top of the hedge.
Eg (as a random example):

A one metre tall platform will have railings and be heavy to move.

But folding steps might be safer than a step ladder

I missed the significant price... These might be more reasonable if a bit less stable.

Sfk

Last edited:
I use a combination ladder with platform, the extra height is useful for taller hedges and other jobs. The platform length means you can do a fair bit of hedge from one spot. Plus it converts to a ladder and steps. Fairly bulky but lightweight aluminium, and folds up. Screwfix do the macallister version. (602kk), very solid. Its doubled in price since i bought mine though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - I don't know why I was saying 1m, as that would be quite a high platform... so those screwfix examples look like they could do the job, no issues with paying more as long as they last and fit the purpose, so perhaps I should figure out the measurements properly and go with the best fit.

Thanks again

Thanks all - I don't know why I was saying 1m, as that would be quite a high platform... so those screwfix examples look like they could do the job, no issues with paying more as long as they last and fit the purpose, so perhaps I should figure out the measurements properly and go with the best fit.

Thanks again

You can buy pole mounted hedge trimmers, to avoid the need to climb onto anything, but they are rather heavy. If you are seeking a stable, yet light and portable platform, many recommend a three-legged version for use on uneven ground. They are like a normal pair of steps, except instead of two fold out feet at the back, they just have one, forming a tripod.

My front garden hedge is my height problem, with my garden side pebbled, and a little higher than the public path. Come time to cut it, I lay lots of old bedsheets, to cover the pebbles, overlapped, then just walk along cutting, at my maximum reach, which gets it fairly level a the top. Then I cut the inside face. Finally, tipping the contents of bedsheets, all onto one, to tip in the garden bin.

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
For me I do it along the length of hedge, when it looks heavy wrap it together, drop it into bin, and pull out tarp (normally dropping some of the cuttings). Saves me using brush.
Horses for courses though, works well on thus hedge, and might not use elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back