Stop start not working... intermittently?

The stop/start systems I am familiar with rely on certain criteria being reached. Engine temperature, ambient temperature, air con settings etc. my merc has come on twice in 8k miles. Personally I hate the function and turn it off by default.

I have a Jan 2019 Polo from new and the Stop/Start is enabled once you have travelled 0.5kms even if the car has been sitting there overnight and right down to the lowest ambient temperature I have noted, minus 3C. As above the manual gives the same criteria.
I only use Stop/Start selectively, wife has never used it.

Sponsored Links
I have recently got a stop start. As I habitually keep the clutch down when stopped I have control over it. If I'm stopped for a reasonable time I'll just lift the clutch - local knowledge helps, if I know it's a quick sequence I just keep my foot down.

I probably get 90% of the benefit with 50% of the wear and tear.

My wife's Jag has stop/start, it rarely works, as she simply does not use the car enough to fully charge the battery, the same applies to all our cars, I have three Lidi smart chargers, two are 3.8 amp, one is 5 amp, and both show when charge is completed, however during COVID I was moving the charger car to car, and using an energy meter to show when charged, and it became apparent even when the charger says complete, the battery is often not fully charged, the smaller of the chargers had a very basic system, it would charge to 14.4 volt, then drop charge rate to 0.1 amp, and the voltage would then slowly drop to 12.8 volt at which the charge rate would go to 0.8 amp, until at 14.4 volt again.

This produced a graph, and as time went on, one could see the time between the charger turning up the charge rate was slowly getting longer and longer, until it was reduced to once a day, always at the same time, so I assume the engine management computer sends info to Jaguar at that time every day.

So it seems a battery takes around 10 days to fully charge, how many days is dependent on how long between charges, and age of the battery, before the Kia battery failed, it reached a point where it would not drop from the 0.8 amp charge rate. But with today's absorbed glass mat lead acid batteries, also called valve regulated lead acid, (AGM or VRLA) one needs a so called 'smart' charger. And around once every 6 months, put the battery on charge for an extended time, a day or two, and I know after doing that my wife's Jag stop/start works again, and we use it not working as a sign the battery needs charging again.

Sponsored Links
Thats interesting, my 2019 Polo which has "smart" alternator charging normally charges at 13.2/13.3V and 14.4/14.7V on overrun, I have never seen the battery SOC higher than 85%, it does mostly very very short runs but the stop/start never fails to operate any time I enable it even with relatively low voltage, see last set of VCDS readings.

20:27:49 01/08/2023. Engine OFF, ignition ON.

IDE01834 Battery voltage 12.175 V

IDE01836 Battery current -4.356 A (running lights)

IDE01837 Temperature of battery sensor 18 °C

IDE01839 Battery charge level 73 %

IDE01841 Battery internal resistance 7.0 mOhm

IDE01842 Usable battery charge 27 Ah (59AH Battery)

IDE01843 Battery voltage at rest 12.4 V

IDE01948 Battery internal resistance not normed 5.4 mOhm

Back