Stop washing machine moving about

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect it's almost impossible to stop a washing machine from moving about, especially when it housed free in a cupboard, but any helpful tips would be very much appreciated. I've seen mats online like this one, but they are expensive and do they actually work?
20241021_120824.jpg

Sponsored Links
The old washing machines
1729511495594.png
would be bolted to the floor, but this was a real pain, so we instead fit iron ore weights either bound with clay or cement, and an arrangement of springs, so the drum can move but the body remains reasonably static.

I was involved with making these weights, which were made with a press, in my case using cement to bind the iron ore together, it made around 6 weights per minute, and we have a box which filled with a set amount of mixture to drop into the mould, but the problem was some times a bit of concrete mix would stick in the box so the weight was pressed with a short measure.

The concrete forms some flashing, so when the thin blocks were fitted, they felt tight, but in use the flashing would crumble, and the weight would come loose, we tried to fit alarms to show when the press was going down to far, but it did not always work. Should one weight be loose, then the machine can walk through the kitchen, today sensors are fitted on the machine, to auto stop it if it vibrates too much, but they will always move a little, but as long as legs adjusted correctly should not move much, however on a flexible floor clearly they will move more than on a solid floor, and if weights are loose then it can get daft.

I suspect it's almost impossible to stop a washing machine from moving about, especially when it housed free in a cupboard, but any helpful tips would be very much appreciated. I've seen mats online like this one, but they are expensive and do they actually work?

One would help, but the method I use, on my solid floor, is to give the machine no where to go. The feet of mine, drop into holes drilled into a board, and the board is screwed to the floor. When the machine does need to come out, I remove the screws, to enable me to pull machine and board out.

One would help, but the method I use, on my solid floor, is to give the machine no where to go. The feet of mine, drop into holes drilled into a board, and the board is screwed to the floor. When the machine does need to come out, I remove the screws, to enable me to pull machine and board out.
That's a neat solution. I presume the board is just screwed to the floor along the front edge.

Sponsored Links
I had battens screwed to my floor to stop the machine wandering around.

The machine was left by the previous owner, so I assume the bolts have been removed. I've levelled the feet and it feels quite stable. It's only moving a cm or two during fast spin cycles. I'm restricted for space in a flat and have no outside drying area, so the only place for a tumble dryer that I need is to stack it on top of the washing machine. Perhaps this will stop any slight movement.

so I assume the bolts have been removed
Better to check than assume
so the only place for a tumble dryer that I need is to stack it on top of the washing machine.
Build a shelf over the washer and put the dryer on the shelf. Fit a sliding board on drawer runners, to the underside of the shelf to give you somewhere to rest your laundry basket

I have a Miele, on a wooden floor. It's a big old thing and until I recently did some work with the pipework at the back to allow it to go further under the worktop there was exactly 5mm of clearance in front of the machine when the outward opening door was opened. In a year of twice daily use it didn't move a mm!

Attachments

• IMG_20241022_073717943_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241022_073717943_HDR.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 7
or you can fix the problem properly and buy a descent make but then again that hoover wont last that long anyway

I have a Miele, on a wooden floor. It's a big old thing and until I recently did some work with the pipework at the back to allow it to go further under the worktop there was exactly 5mm of clearance in front of the machine when the outward opening door was opened. In a year of twice daily use it didn't move a mm!

Unless retrained, they all move. Nowt to do with the make or model, just a matter of imbalance, when it comes to the spin cycle. That's why, during the spin cycle, they will frequently pause when they detect a major imbalance, do a few slow rotations to rearrange the load, and retry a spin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back