Strange Happenning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I normally have no problem with my lighting, but today my kitchen light will not turn off and remains on even if I disconnect all of the wires in the switch, does anybody have any idea what is happenning ?

Sponsored Links
You'll have to help us a bit. What electrical work have you done, if any?

What sort of light fitting(s) is/are it/they?

Etc..

1: what kind of light is this?
2: what wires do you have at the switch
3: i hope you turned of the power before removing wires from the switch and did something to make them safe before turing back on

i can see a few possibilities

1: short in switch cable (unlikely if its twin and earth)
2: wiring problem at light fitting
3: another switch wired in paralell with the one you know about

No electrical work has been undertaken, lights were fitted a few months back in another room. The lights contain a central ceiling lights and an undercupboard light, on a two gang switch

Sponsored Links
when did problem start, and has ANY work been done recently?

I need to be clearer about how all of this works

1. The lights, prior to the happenning, a two gang switch controlled one a central rose and two an undercupborad light. The undercupboard light still switches on and off, the central rose stays on.

2. The wiring is complicated and I was assurred it was professionally installed. I have a black wire directly connected to a blue wire. I have a yellow wire in L1 and a red wire in L1. I have a red wire in L2 that is also connected to the other L2 connection.

Any help is appreciated

are you saying you have moved some wires and now it doesnt work?

what have you got connected to "C"

Breezer

no wires have been moved, the light just fails to turn off

If it was in L1 and L2, no lights should work :)

Sounds like a twin+earth feed, black as neutral, and a 3core+earth to the lights, the red doing one light, the yellow the other, and the blue as a combined neutral (connected to the black in the switch)???

So it doesnt sound like loop in loop out, so there shouldn't be a constant live at the fittings.

Strange..........thinking caps on lads.......

i still want to know what is in C

2way-switching.gif

from what you have said you have 2 way switching (using L2 & L1) if you look at the above drawing it does use C as well

Doesnt sound 2 way to me?? Both lights only switch from one door dont they???

but why have red, blue black and yellow and L1 and L2 (but no C)

I think he has taken cables out of temrinals and put them back wrong. Causing a 2nd fault :(

The red from the twin+e should link C to C. The red in the 3 core+e should be in one L1, the yellow in the other L1. Blue and black together in a block.

It may not be wired this way, but this is how i feel it is described.

What connections are at the center light???????

i am thinking along those lines but he did say Breezer

no wires have been moved, the light just fails to turn off

doesnt make sense, something must have been done / worked on/ changed, and still no reply as to what is in C

Don't forget some light switches (eg some Crabtree) have no C but use L1 L2 & L3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back