Surface shower supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a 9.5kw shower in a friends fully tiled bathroom,
Can i supply the shower through the top, Using minitrunking on the surface of the tiles, Or is there a problem using this method?

Sponsored Links
i would have them behind the tiles, mainly to keep the cable dry and added protection

My friend does not want the tiles damaged, As he cannot get replacements

Behind the tiles is obviously neater, but as you say that all the tiling as already been completed, it is no problem just to run it in correctly sized trunking.

It might be a good idea to apply silicone around the end of the trunking where it joins to the shower after installation, to stop water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Thanx Ryanj :)
I don't like the look of surface wiring, But i have no choice in this case,
I was just checking to see if there was some regulation against my plan, :confused:

id imagine there would be problems with water getting in

if you do use trunking make damn use its well sealed where it joins to the shower

you would probablly want to seal the lid to the trunking too

Sounds to me like a 22mm :?: hole cut in the top of the shower housing, and the use of round conduit and a proper gland would be better.

Or...

If you have access to a router, get a piece of wood or MDF, cut to the shape of the shower, painted white etc. Cut away the inside sufficiently to take the trunking or conduit into it, and then the cable into the back of the shower. Fix the wood and the wiring to the wall, then fix the shower to the wood and seal the join.

mdf near water is very bad we learnt that the hard way

the stuff sucks up water like a sponge and expands significantly

real wood is pretty tough

i agree conduit maye be better than trunking as it means you only have to worry about sealing at the joints not along the whole length.

conduit and 22mm?? 20mm......but dont go that way.

look in the shower construcitons - most allow a top, surface cable and pipe entry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back