Surprise under floor

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

First time i've posted pictures so hope it works!

Found this nice surprise when trying to find a fault the other day. The consumer unit below in the kitchen had been moved to a new position about a year ago.

Turned out there was loose connection in one of the joint boxes.

Sponsored Links
To conform with BS7671; 2008 you will now have to leave them on top of the floorboards.

rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif

iam surprised in seeing that! a rewire should be suggested to do away with the possability of the fault happening again, or the risk causing a fire .

I think a rewire is a bit much just because there are some hidden JBs.

Sledge hammer and walnut springs to mind.

Sponsored Links
Aye, though where do you draw the line exactly?

I must admit that when I come across an installation from say the late '60s and the house is being renovated in many rooms, etc, and I have identified a some problems, (but not so many that it couldn't be patched up), I am minded to recommend a rewire

The obviously does not comply with BS7671,

but what would people think if all these joint where made in an enclosure with cable clamp/grip and crimp connections?

A bit better, but still not really ideal.

Replacing the first part of the circuit where the JB currently is would be the best soloution.

lol.

It wont be me, hopefully the original contractor will rectify this. Ideally rewiring from the CU to all points of first connection for all circuits. They will have to chase all the new cables back out above the CU in the brand new kitchen to first floor level.

Catch a grip on reality!!!!!

No one in their right mind will replace the cables back to the first point in the circuit.

iam surprised in seeing that! a rewire should be suggested to do away with the possability of the fault happening again, or the risk causing a fire .

But the OP did not say "rewire". The CU was moved - that's not a rewire.
Apalling work though.

RMS, did the customer get a cert for the work done and was it notified by the original spark?
?

yes there is a cert for the job, my company are currently investigating it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back