Surprise under floor

Catch a grip on reality!!!!!

No one in their right mind will replace the cables back to the first point in the circuit.

Totally disagree. While I'd be happy with crimps + heatshrink to extend cables to a new CU, it's still not ideal as it adds a concealed joint in the circuit. I would consider replacing the wiring up to the first point in the circuit to be best practice, and it shouldn't be all too difficult to do so for at least the lighting circuits at minimum.

In fact, while extending the ring final and altering the lighting circuit at my parent's house to accommodate an office being converted into a bedroom, I'm also rewiring large portions of the circuit(s) outside the room in order to remove excessive JBs. Said junctions are located in the loft and not concealed, but there are at least 10 of them up there on various circuits, and I don't consider them to be the hallmark of a decent electrician when they can easily be avoided.

I discovered one up there today on the lighting circuit with 10 incoming T+E cables, 30A JB, with loop in/out on the 30A terminals and various other outgoing connections to light fittings in pieces of terminal block shoved into the box. Credit to the guy that did it, it must have been no trivial task to get the lid on with all that in there, but he managed it. This has now been replaced with loop in/out at the switch, and it only cost a bit of time and a few metres of cable.

Oh, and two of the (previously live) cables in there turned out to be dead ends, simply taped up and left hanging in the loft. It really wouldn't have been difficult to remove them when they became redundant...

Sponsored Links
With Rob on this one, ideally replace cables on first leg of the circuits, if not then crimp and shrink.

Presently coming to end of a re-wire and have so far found 47 junction boxes in the house, built early 70's.

I will not even begin to count the number of 30A terminasl blocks that have been holding together the vast majority of circuits whilst being buried under layers of insulation.

The customer is eternally greatful that I crawled all over the house on day one and identified these very real fire hazards, they took my advice and moved from new lighting circuits to complete re-wire.

Found, to my mis-fortune 3 widow makers stuffed away under a loft conversion and the up stairs lights tied into the ring final in 3 places!!!!!!

Have just surveyed a job, 'Ba Tat' way 4 stories 17 rooms, will be putting the price in tomorrow, fully expect to get the job, beautiful period property, but I suspect FULL to the brim with interesting finds, camera will be at the ready.

Won't be much change out of 10K!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back