T&G Chipboard flooring - not staggered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are converting our double garage into two rooms. We have put down 50mm PIR insulation and 50mm timber joists to add strength for the area which will be used as a gym. We have put T&G chipboard on top in that room, but stupidly haven't staggered the joins.
What is the worst that could happen? We could undo it as we haven't gone any further but it will be a pain. We are wondering how much of a problem it is, as all of the floor is supported (the entire floor is PIR and timbers). And on top of the chipboard will be underlay, then LVT, then thick gym rubber floor mats. Will all of this make it secure enough? We have glued the T&G joins but not screwed down.
Do we have to undo what we've done - very sad about that possibility :(

Sponsored Links
the unstaggered joint will be a fault line, so it could introduce a bit of bounce….but it’s sitting on PIR which is pretty strong, so it will probably be ok…..but it might depend on whether the PIR and joists are the same thickness

If you’ve laid joists and PIR, is there a reason you’ve not screwed it down? It sounds like you’ve done a hybrid of a floating floor and a suspended timber floor

the unstaggered joint will be a fault line, so it could introduce a bit of bounce….but it’s sitting on PIR which is pretty strong, so it will probably be ok…..but it might depend on whether the PIR and joists are the same thickness

If you’ve laid joists and PIR, is there a reason you’ve not screwed it down? It sounds like you’ve done a hybrid of a floating floor and a suspended timber floor
Thanks for the reply, having a bit of a panic here :)

The joists and PIR are both exactly 50mm - I found some engineered joists at exactly 50mm rather than standard timbers, as couldn't figure out how we'd make that work with the timbers coming in at 45mm!

We are constructing a floating floor on top of the PIR, the PIR is flush to the walls, with a few joists for extra support under the gym equipment. What is a suspended timber floor?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, having a bit of a panic here :)

The joists and PIR are both exactly 50mm - I found some engineered joists at exactly 50mm rather than standard timbers, as couldn't figure out how we'd make that work with the timbers coming in at 45mm!

We are constructing a floating floor on top of the PIR, the PIR is flush to the walls, with a few joists for extra support under the gym equipment. What is a suspended timber floor?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
I think you need to have a bit of a bounce on the floor and see if you feel it moves much……and decide from there. Sadly if you redo the floor you will destroy the chipboard joints and have to buy new.

If it is a bit bouncy would you be able to over board it with say 12mm plywood and loads of screws to lock it altogether?

My worry for you is that the LVT is a much bigger cost than the chipboard or some overboarding….so you want to get it right now rather than being unhappy later after it’s all finished.

But it sounds like you’ve got a floating floor with some timber under the gym equipment.

The rigidity of floating floors depends on the flatness of the concrete floor, how even in thickness the PIR is and how snugly it’s been fitted, if it feels pretty solid you should be ok, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back