Table Lamp Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've been giving some thought lately to how I'm going to light our living room as the standard lights dangling from the ceiling approach will conflict with the ceiling mounted protector (and nothing is allowed to interfere with that after years spent getting to the point where I can fit it).

I don't particularly fancy wall lights so I came to the conclusion that lamps controlled from a standard light switch or dimmer would be a fairly good solution. I guessed that standard 3-pin sockets probably wouldn't be used for obvious reasons. A little research turned up these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Accessories/Sockets_2_-_5_-_15_Amp/index.html round three pin sockets - are these the correct things to use? Presumably I would then just replace the plugs on any lamps.

I don't remember seeing anything about this sort of set up in my 16th Ed OSG or the green handbook so I'm hoping this is still a standard circuit. I was planning on wiring the sockets on their own radial circuit like normal light fittings.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with doing this. (It's been discussed several times if you search.) Most electricians seem to favour the 5A round pin sockets as it's easier to get fused plugs than than 2A ones.

The other approach, which I favour, is to use 13A sockets, but engrave them with a message explaining what they are for. It saves changing the plugs on the lampstands you buy.

I use a 6A radial circuit with 1.5mm t&e. If anyone plugged in a kettle it would just trip.

5amp plugs are bulky and ugly.

We use the 2 amps, nice and neat.

Why would you want to fuse the 5amp ones down? Pointless.

I personally would not use even labelled 13amp sockets. If you did really want to do it that way, then a 20amp 2.5mm circuit with a 20amp switch (grid for example) would be better, but a little OTT.

I prefer 5A sockets.

Normally they are not directly on show, so it's not too much of an issue.

You can use either.

Oh and I agree, there is no need at all to use fused plugtops.

Sponsored Links
I would use 2A sockets in each corner of the room. It looks great to have a room lit this way.

I also wouldn't use 13A sockets. Even if they're labelled, it's all to easy for someone to plug in a hoover or iron or something, especially if the socket is behind a table and hard to see properly.

And yes, you wire a radial circuit between all the 2A sockets from the switch. Dimmers are great when combined with table lighting, although a bit of a problem when you want to change to low energy lighting. I use GLS Halogen lamps for this purpose.

I would not use 2A plugs purely as they would need fusing to 2A although I agree the 2A look better.

I have used the proper lighting plugs but only because there were already some in use with ceiling fittings and it kept all lights on the same type of plug.

Where it was never moved using clock plugs is an option as smaller. If only lighting it also means people are less likely to unscrew and unplug and each outlet is fused in plug.

As far as I am aware only MK make the 5A sockets able to be used in UK. The others around are not shuttered.

Thanks guys, I had done some research before posting but the issue of what to use always seemed contentious. Having taken myself down the local shed last night I think I'll be going for 5A sockets and plugs. The 2A plugs were just too small for me to take them seriously and at the end of the day you've got to have a full sized single plate on the wall anyway.

Only having MK make the 5A shuttered is not a problem for me as everything else is MK anyway.

Now I've just got to get the first fix in before the plaster gets here, should be another long weekend.

Good point, I use low energy bulbs everywhere as well so I doubt I would be using 460W if every light in the house was switched on.

I was thinking of using the 5A plugs more from a convenience point of view rather than a desire to draw that much power. The 2A plugs felt very small and fiddly. Ideally they would make a 2A plug the size of a 5A one. I don't know, perhaps I just like having something big to grab hold of and pull on :D

MK are not the only manufacturer of shuttered 5A sockets.

AFAIK, BS 546 requires all sockets to be manufactured with shutters these days

0.75mm which is smallest we are allowed to use see Table 52.3 is rated 6A also the ceiling rose is rated 5/6A so there is nothing on a lighting circuit rated below 5/6A which is why we use 5/6A fuse/MCB/RCBO can't understand what the "Do you fuse down your pendent drops?" refers to why would I need to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back