Table Lamp Sockets

So considering same difference between 2A and 6A then if we draw 39A through a 13A plug you feel the fuse should not blow!

In the real world, a 13A socket on a standard ring circuit drawing 39A is unlikely to ever blow a 30A BS3036 fuse, and would take about 16 hours to operate a BSEN60898 MCB ;)

But there is a 13A fuse in the plug! To draw 39A from a 13A socket protected only by the 30/32A protective device one would need to by pass the 13A fuse in the plug which is a whole different ball game.

But by exactly the same token, you are limited to how much power you can draw from a B22 lamp holder, by not being able to purchase a lamp which will draw more than 2A.

Of course the lamp holder could be abused by someone using a non standard lamp, but you could abuse a 13A socket with one of those unfused multi socket adaptor jobbies.

Sponsored Links
But by exactly the same token, you are limited to how much power you can draw from a B22 lamp holder, by not being able to purchase a lamp which will draw more than 2A.

Of course the lamp holder could be abused by someone using a non standard lamp, but you could abuse a 13A socket with one of those unfused multi socket adaptor jobbies.

See this 25v Gls Lamp 60w BC Pearl from TLC this uses 2.4 amp it did not take much finding. I am sure if I hunt I can find more. And the 40W version is clearance so soon from this firm you will only be able to get a bulb which exceeds the limit.

Sponsored Links
The only ELV ones I have come across at work were purchased specifically for the task and were ceramic lampholders.

I'd be worried is someone was putting 24v BC lamps in their ceiling lamp!

I once put an mk grid indicator in once, not realising the shop had gave me a 24 volt.
Sounded like a bomb going off :eek:

The only ELV ones I have come across at work were purchased specifically for the task and were ceramic lampholders.

I would agree but it was being suggested that one could never draw more than 2A with a BA22d bulb and I was pointing out you could.

As we work with 230v predominantly, we don't question when fitting pendents and batten holders etc - we know they will generally comply.

If you do fit a 25v circuit for what ever reason, you would ensure your circuit complied, and would use appropriate accessories and kit. You would ensure your lamp holder was rated accordingly.

You used to see central battery emergency lighting systems with 25v lamps, and also handlamps in car workshops, and also lift shafts for some reason. Mining is another example, although I have never worked in that environment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back