Telephone socket replacement woes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I recently had some new carpet fitted and during the work the fitter accidentally severed the internal phone wiring. It's a Virgin Media 'fibre' phone line so I was able to reconnect a phone directly to the router but obviously the extensions no longer worked.

I got some new cable to replace the damaged wiring but I could not get a dial tone. I triple checked everything to ensure there was a good connection and that the wires were connected to the correct terminals. I tried wiring each socket separately to the router. Nope. Still no dial tone. This led me to the conclusion that the severing of the wire had produced a spark that had damaged both phone sockets.

Next I bought two new phone sockets, a like-for-like new NTE5a master socket to replace the original one and a smaller PABX socket for the extension. Now I get a dial tone from the new PABX socket (I tested it by connecting directly to the router) but I cannot get a dial tone from the new NTE5a socket even after multiple attempts.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Did you not pull the face off the original master socket to test for dial tone? Plug phone in behind faceplate.
If no working phone then the cable to house is damaged.

Another question.
With virgin WiFi hub you now plug phone into that.
I know you can link that to internal phone lines but I've not worked out how yet, although I've seen YouTube videos on it.

We had a phone line fault but virgin would not come out. It's all being turned off. You have to use internet WiFi hub now so go stick landline phone in that..

Maybe you have different setup?

Thanks for replying Wayners. Yes, I did remove the face plate for testing.

When the phone line was switched over to digital I persuaded Virgin to send an engineer to connect up the digital line to the old wiring, which basically involved splicing the wires together (see attached photo). That wire is now redundant thanks to the carpet.

I'll probably just buy a second PABX socket. At least I know it works.

Attachments

• 20240826_153815.jpg
    20240826_153815.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back