Tell me about this gate and look at the installation.

D

Deleted member 318094

Hi everyone.

We had a 'carpenter' make a gate and fit it.
He insisted on fitting it while we were out. Check out the installation of the post to the rotten fence. This was later changed to rawl plugs on a quick return visit following a message from a concerned neighbour. The hammering of the plugs has shattered the post internally and it has burst through the other side
I'm left to clean up this mess.

Has he made the gate upside down with regards to the mitre? Its not doing anything like that is it?

pins and glue used throughout.
i'm switching to 24" heavy duty T hinges from 12" which are already distorted and it has a jockey wheel (which was fitted wonky also).
i've since coach bolted through the post with spreader plate on the other side for stability.

Thoughts

IMG-20240827-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20240827-WA0008.jpg
20240831_115906.jpg
20240830_173823.jpg
20240831_115941.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Established several years. Talked the talk. Then it all went downhill.

Any suggestions on how i can improve things?
The guy will not be coming back.
The latch post is now securely bolted through so the issue remains the gates construction.

Its more glue than nails but if i try to pull those mitre sections off it will be a right mess

How thick are those vertical laths, they appear quite thin in the photo? The thickness of those, determines whether it's worth reusing them.

As a minimum - unpin, unglue the V in the middle, and replace it with proper peace of timber, from top-right, down to bottom-left. Replace the 12 inch hinges, with galvanised 24 inch versions. Further assuming the timber on the left is adequately bolted to the wall, then the wheel should be unnecessary.

my thoughts
as the gate has a trolly wheel the best action may be to do nothing until something goes out off line as great damage may happen trying to remove the diagonal
Apart from that, a soulless gate 45% chamfer on the pails and overhanging bottom rail by 1-2 widths would look more interesting and reduce the chance off the water running down the pails and finding its way to the bottom edge off the the bottom rail

Any suggestions on how i can improve things?
The guy will not be coming back.
The latch post is now securely bolted through so the issue remains the gates construction.

Its more glue than nails but if i try to pull those mitre sections off it will be a right mess
Any particular reason you've decided to 'follow' me after being here for a day?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back