Terrecotta tiles onto limecrete NIGHTMARE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very porous tiles, and very porous floor! Tried every combination of sharp sand, builders sand and NHL5.
Won't spread, won't stick, absolute nightmare!

Sponsored Links
Have you primed both the floor and tiles before laying?

I havnt tried any primer - I understood that would prevent the floor from 'breathing'.... It's a new limecrete slab on glass foam insulation.

Sponsored Links
Possibly so, but covering the floor with tiles will surely affect the breathability... are the tiles stone or ceramic?

Very porous tiles, and very porous floor! Tried every combination of sharp sand, builders sand and NHL5.
Won't spread, won't stick, absolute nightmare!
If you used Ncl5 for your lime crete it will loose most if not all of its breathability as it cures.
Adhere-vit is probably product for you....Did you lay the limecrete over foamed glass aggregate?
https://www.lime.org.uk/adhere-vit.html

If you used Ncl5 for your lime crete it will loose most if not all of its breathability as it cures.
Adhere-vit is probably product for you....Did you lay the limecrete over foamed glass aggregate?
https://www.lime.org.uk/adhere-vit.html
Not come across that one. Yes, the more I've read about NHL5, the more I think I'll prob do cement next time - still on the foamed glass though.....

I've got the tiles to work using a NHL mortar.... It was all about controlling the suction of both floor and tile.

Here's what's working :

Wet floor with masonary paintbrush, not too much... then paint floor with a lime slurry. Spread 2:1 building sand /nhl5 onto floor with notched trowel. Soak tile in bucket of water for 10-15 seconds, back butter tile with the mortar. Press tile firmly into place.

Then grout with 3:1 sharp sand /nhl2

I've done about a square metre, only 15 to go.....

Not come across that one. Yes, the more I've read about NHL5, the more I think I'll prob do cement next time - still on the foamed glass though.....
Foamed glass acts as damp/moisture control and thermal insulation to acceptable building standards u value.

1725867030930.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back