Testing for dead. What does the team think?

Only if the double pole main switch by the meter was locked off would it safe to assume the circuits ( all of them ) are dead.

And even that may not be 100% safe,
Indeed, the following were taken with the outbuilding main switch OFF, albeit the PD is between 2 earths
1719866562097.png
1719866592183.jpeg

I once came across a socket in a house that was connected to the next door supply, The owner of the house was curious as to why it was dead whenever the people next door were away on holiday.
I suspect that is slightly more common than we expect, albeit very rare.

I have come across it twice where the layout of adjacent properties have changed and twice where a crafty has been done

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What worries me far more about "2 pole" testers is that they can't handle the "everything is live" situation. That is where tools like volt sticks and neon screwdrivers (where are IMO unfairly maligned by H&S types) shine.

My go to tester, but you always need to know it is working, before assuming it is.

In the case that everything is live, with a two pole, then you test against a known good earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back