That is incredibly ugly

Sponsored Links
EV9 possibly?

1719391008317.png

UK car of the year 2024! :unsure:

I pointed this out to a bloke across the road who has been suckered into getting a huge white chunk of an EV (poss Kia, who knows they all look the same??), despite the fact he has no way of charging it at home. Something along the lines of "I don't want to be rude, and I'm guessing it cost you a lot of money - but she definitely ain't a looker". He actually agreed.

Apart from that another neighbour has Lexus and Toyota SUVs. They must cost a lot, but with acres of plastic outside, they just look really cheap. Especially the front ends/grilles - lots of cheap, shiny diamond pattern plastic on the grille, etc. These cars are just bulky and unappealing and have none of the appeal or presence of cars of yesterday - even though they may have been slightly smaller.

Sponsored Links
Definitely not my bag, but it is built for a very specific and quite niche function: it's a (proper) seven-seater.

I used to be able to identify a cars make and model, the instant I saw them - they are all just lifeless boxes now.

Lifeless and ridiculously overpriced boxes now, often with gloomy, dull interiors and rock hard seats. Bring back blue or green velour! :cool:

I could identify them with my eyes closed. Morris Minor has a distinctive exhaust note on the overrun. Triumph Herald, exhaust note and slight whine. Cortina, Tranny, etc would let you know they were there with their worn cams. Talbot Alpine or Talbot Tapper as we called them - lots of valve/cam noise from new. 2CV very distinctive noise/exhaust note. Rover P4 and some others - distinctive whine in 1st gear. They're the most memorable ones from my youth.

Lifeless and ridiculously overpriced boxes now, often with gloomy, dull interiors and rock hard seats. Bring back blue or green velour! :cool:

I could identify them with my eyes closed. Morris Minor has a distinctive exhaust note on the overrun. Triumph Herald, exhaust note and slight whine. Cortina, Tranny, etc would let you know they were there with their worn cams. Talbot Alpine or Talbot Tapper as we called them - lots of valve/cam noise from new. 2CV very distinctive noise/exhaust note. Rover P4 and some others - distinctive whine in 1st gear. They're the most memorable ones from my youth.
Nothing like the rumble of a V8 or the growl of a straight six !
I can still enjoy both & the cars themselves are instantly recognisable, except maybe to younger generations ;)

The first farm I worked on full time the farm manger had a Mini Van and you could hear him from a mile away. Then he got a Ford 200 I think and then we had to be on our toes as it was silent by comparison.

I used to be able to identify a cars make and model, the instant I saw them - they are all just lifeless boxes now.

20 mpg, and a hop-and-a-catch whether it would start, or make the full journey (if you hadn't had it on ramps on the drive on a Sunday, on a regular basis)..................

Halcyon days indeed (y)

Sponsored Links
Back