the last guy was a bit cheaper than me....

sigh.... really?

Combination boilers
no storage tank, water and heating are heated directly from boiler via cold mains.

Sealed system boilers (unvented)
A system boiler (also known as a closed or sealed system boiler) works on the principle of stored hot water. This means that you will need an airing cupboard or other space for the hot water storage tank.

Open vent and open vent sealed system boilers
An open vent boiler is the existing system in most people’s homes. This type of system uses two water tanks, both located in the loft, and a hot water storage cylinder in the airing cupboard so it is very space hungry. One tank draws water from the mains supply and feeds the storage cylinder which, when heated by the boiler, can release hot water to taps all over the house.

....or perhapes you could explain. :!:

So how do you suppose you measure the pressure on a sealed system boiler then? How do you fill the CH loop on a sealed system boiler?

Oh, thats right, a filling loop and a pressure gauge.

Its not just combis that have a filling loop. ;)

Sponsored Links
then i retract my comment re. filling loops! appologies to mr riveralt :mrgreen:

Some go further and insist that the filler loop must also be accessible without having to go in the loft.
Gas you can understand - you might want a way to isolate the boiler that doesn't involve getting into the loft and doesn't require the whole house to b turned off, but what does having the filling loop remote from the boiler do for you?

Some go further and insist that the filler loop must also be accessible without having to go in the loft.
Gas you can understand - you might want a way to isolate the boiler that doesn't involve getting into the loft and doesn't require the whole house to b turned off, but what does having the filling loop remote from the boiler do for you?

Probably to stop granny having to get into the loft every few months to top up the pressure :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
what does having the filling loop remote from the boiler do for you?
It enables tenants in rented properties to open the valves to the filling loop in the mistaken belief they are turning the water off. This results in the relief valve opening and water pouring out.

Typically done when the water is metered, and the tenants are just leaving for 3 weeks holiday.

Filling loops are not allowed to be permanently connected any more, I thought....

Couldn't remove mine - it's copper and soldered in, with a valve (not operated by a removable key) in it.

Well it was a while ago, when i was told about the key operated valve setup, they have probably changed the reg's since then :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back