The plug of a dishwasher starts to melt !

My personal feelings (I'm not a sparky):
1) Yes, get a qualified engineer to change the socket and check the cable inside the wall at the same time.
2) No need to change the flex. Judging by kingdech's photo 7 at 1:39 p.m. on Sunday, the flex is reasonably long. So cut the flex a few inches from the plug and then use a new good quality (as JohnD said at 1:55 p.m. on Sunday) plug.

Sponsored Links
Just get the electrician to cut the plug off and fit a new one on the end of the cable.

Sponsored Links
boringoldcodger,

Thank you. Good idea!
However, that means the new plug and the old cable will be separated as two units? (At the moment, they are fitted as one unit and looks better?)

However, that means the new plug and the old cable will be separated as two units? (At the moment, they are fitted as one unit and looks better?)
A good quality MK or similar plug will almost certainly be better than that molded plug which came with the dishwasher. As for looks, obviously a matter of opinion, but it's going to be hidden away behind the dishwasher once everything's in place anyway, so does it really matter?

Thanks for your advice.
However, I still don't know what is the reason why the plug and the socket were burned and how to avoid such things happen again?

Probably just that the socket is old and was making a poor contact with the plug pins. The closeness of the dishwasher wouldn't have helped though.

That reminds me, I've pulled a dishwasher out before and it's pulled the plug out the socket where it was stuck to the back of the dish washer!

I was thinking that at the time..... Could I just slide it back in and it would plug itself back in..!

I didn't...

Dimyself.
Is there a fused isolating switch for the dishwasher above the worktop? If so, you can dispense with the plug and socket all together and fit a flex outlet plate.
That would give you more space behind the appliance too….

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-1-gang-20a-flex-outlet-plate-white/70006

Yes there is, however, doesnt this mean the dishwasher will be difficult to get out in the future as it will be permanently attached to the wall effectively? Does it require an electrician to remove each time?

The flex is long enough to pull it forward for maintenance. It will need disconnecting if you ever need to take it all of the way out, but my dishwasher has not moved for the last seven years and it would only need disconnecting if/when it needs replacing.

Its a simple job to disconnect. if you can wire a plug you can disconnect the dishwasher - it doesnt need an electrician!

Its up to you - changing the plug and socket is a Do It Yourself job for most people…………………..

All changed - thanks all, hopefully no more burnouts for a while

Attachments

• IMG_20151217_081923.jpg
    IMG_20151217_081923.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20151217_081943.jpg
    IMG_20151217_081943.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20151217_081935.jpg
    IMG_20151217_081935.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 154
For safety make the old plug un-usable by twisting the pins so it cannot be plugged in. If plugged in then the exposed wires in the cut end of the cable will become live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back