There's clever !

Sponsored Links
I think the iboost+ can have two immersion heaters connected to it, and it does heat top first then bottom, but I think in the main there are no change over contacts on British immersion heaters, so it does not heat up as he describes.

In the main the two immersion heaters have bottom connected to off-peak, and top to peak supply, and the bottom one is set to a higher temp to the top one, so in the main the top one will not run, it will only run when you have used all off-peak water.

In the beginning the idea was only heat whole tank for a bath, what was before we insulated the tank so well.

But other than with the iboost+ I do not think we heat the water as he shows. And the iboost+ uses DC and a varying amount of power, so although my immersion heater may be rated at 3 kW, I may only be using 200 watt to heat the water, it only uses excess solar power, and is only a gain if you don't get payment for exported power, as in the main off-peak is lower cost to export payment, so better to simply heat the DHW with off-peak, and then export the solar power.

I would have to read the iboost+ instructions again, I do know two 3 kW immersion heaters only ever use 3 kW not 6 kW but not really looked as to how it decides which to heat when.

But if you really want to see a clever method, then look at the Willis system, with the immersion outside of the main tank, and heating the tank from top down, not bottom up, but in main land UK seems we are too "tick" to work out how to do that. Seems they do use it with solar, but I would not install it in Wales, as to find a plumber who knows how to install it, would be hard.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back