Thermostat dead/powered off troubleshooting

Sponsored Links
Designed/forced obsolescence perhaps!
Certainly not.
All you have posted is easily sorted
If this boiler gets TLC that it deserves, it will outlast what you have in mind.

Regardless, any boiler, must be serviced correctly and properly as the makers recommend. It seems the present boiler is lacking on many fronts.
Me as a heating engineer would would strip present boiler down, proper service and then some, fit better controls. You will be in pocket end if the day with a reliable product.

WB. Best thing about this brand is their backup for a heating engineer and the installer. Product wise, not for me in my house

Why would you take out a solid build boiler and instal a boiler with plastic parts

What do you mean. Truth be told I don't have a burning £2000 hole in my pocket to fork out for a new boiler so I totally take what you say I'd rather run this thing till the bitter end. From what I've been told, the diverter valve needs new seals / refurbishment. After 17 years I'd imagine the heat exchanger, pump, etc are all running at the end of their useful lifespans and to replace all that might be new boiler money any way. We'll see and fingers crossed.

The receiver wasn't working because.....I did indeed have the switch positioned on the heat only setting. Very very stupid, I know....Problem solved.

New thermistor sensor is in, doddle to do. Oddly enough I got a decent shower out of it today at last prior to swapping the part. I'll run the shower again soon and see if I encounter E20 again.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
What do you mean. Truth be told I don't have a burning £2000 hole in my pocket to fork out for a new boiler so I totally take what you say I'd rather run this thing till the bitter end. From what I've been told, the diverter valve needs new seals / refurbishment. After 17 years I'd imagine the heat exchanger, pump, etc are all running at the end of their useful lifespans and to replace all that might be new boiler money any way. We'll see and fingers crossed.

The receiver wasn't working because.....I did indeed have the switch positioned on the heat only setting. Very very stupid, I know....Problem solved.

New thermistor sensor is in, doddle to do. Oddly enough I got a decent shower out of it today at last prior to swapping the part. I'll run the shower again soon and see if I encounter E20 again.
I have no axe to grind. What I write is based on solid experience. What you do or assume is really up to you. Taking advice from ( if that is basis for your decision) person with vested interest to replace boiler is lacking in my estimate.

Diverter valve needing seal? The diverter valve is a cartridge that is replace as a complete unit. Granted it is an item that does leak ( often lack of due care during service intervals) and an item that is stocked in the van.

You did not have the switch in heating position but HW position. In heating position the thermostat would be working- white white would have 240 volts on it.

To write the boiler off after 17 years, age being the only criteria, no problem. Recently fitted controls to a boiler 45 years old, built, like your boiler, like a brick outhouse. Owner has seen a reduction in gas consumption from a boiler that is supposed to be inefficient

As Heating engineers/boiler ppl,
We understand more about how your boiler "should" work, than you do, about how it is "not working".

Despite how many Google searches you make!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back