Tile Cutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat bed wet tile saw, where the tile goes on the bed face up and the blade protrudes through the bed. I have used this on ceramic and it was ok, but I did find that it often chipped the glazing. I found it absolutely no good for porcelain for this reason. I then used an angle grinder with a diamond tile blade on it with water spray and I found the cut was far superior, but cutting porcelain is very time consuming.

Are the score and snap cutters better for getting a nice neat clean cut? I'm thinking I could sell my tile saw in that case, as I don't think I'll ever use this one again.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a flat bed wet tile saw, where the tile goes on the bed face up and the blade protrudes through the bed. I have used this on ceramic and it was ok, but I did find that it often chipped the glazing. I found it absolutely no good for porcelain for this reason. I then used an angle grinder with a diamond tile blade on it with water spray and I found the cut was far superior, but cutting porcelain is very time consuming.

Are the score and snap cutters better for getting a nice neat clean cut? I'm thinking I could sell my tile saw in that case, as I don't think I'll ever use this one again.

Thanks.
I have found the same problem with them, they chip the edge - I have tried faster slower - quality blades and they still chip. And as you say an angle grinder with a bit of water and a good blade is a far better cut.
I also have a dry one like Rubi - not quite as expensive but it was the next expensive. its a Bellota POP 50-R not sure if you can still get them

Gives a great cut and is a joy to use.

OP,
Hire say a Rubi snap cutter of appropriate size for your porcelain, and see how you get on?
Fit a new wheel, and practice on off-cuts etc.

On your wet saw the blade has to be perfectly plumb and wobble free - why not take the blade off & then put it back on or use an expensive new blade. Clean everything including under the bed.
Check the how the tile is supported, esp the last 30mm. An equal pressure push with both thumbs either side of the cut all the way - its safe.
Check the fence is parallel with the blade.

Sponsored Links
I have one of these:

heavy duty tile saw

and this blade is the best I've tried so far with it:

diamond cutting disc

Cuts through porcelain tiles without a problem-nice clean cuts without chipping. I have a Rubi score and snap cutter as well for straight cuts on larger tiles but can't really get by without a wet saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back