Toaster fire: user or appliance at fault?

I would have thought anyone causing a serious amount of damage with a toaster (I take it this is more than a blackened toaster) has been pretty incompetent. But that is the way people are now, always an excuse, never their fault. take it to the insurance and pay the excess - you may end up having to pay them compo for stress and anything else they can think of

Sponsored Links
I don’t have a toaster, never have.
But don’t they have a tray on the bottom that collects crumbs? Then is pulled out to empty/clean?
I’m sure that someone I knew had something like that?

Tilting a full tray might distribute enough crumbs to catch fire and operating on it’s side might prevent the auto off function.

1728213972401.png

Sponsored Links
But don’t they have a tray on the bottom that collects crumbs? Then is pulled out to empty/clean?

It's a feature of modern toasters, along with electronic timing, to replace the bi-metal (toast done) trip - and a lever to lift the toast out to reverse it, without turning the toaster off. The latter addressed the problem of the inner side of the toast, to the toaster, browning faster the outer side.

Tilting on it's side, would not affect either of the toaster types I have ever used, though I have never used one on it's side. What I would expect, is the toast face over an element to brown much faster, and maybe burn - heat rises.

Tilting a full tray might distribute enough crumbs to catch fire and operating on it’s side might prevent the auto off function.

In the days when they lacked a removable tray, I used to simply unplug, and turn the toaster upside down, over a bin, and tap it, to dislodge the crumbs. I still do similar, with the modern ones, after emptying the tray.

Fires rarely start instantly, unless there is something highly combustible about, they take time to develop, with usually a strong smell of burning preceding the actual fire. That, alone, suggests the toaster must have been left unattended for several minutes. Hence, I would suggest it must be the tenant's fault - no one should leave such an appliance unattended.

Last edited:
Trying to decide if I should get a forensic expert involved if the tenant refuses to pay for the damage.
The word forensic is a bit too vague.

This goes without saying, just buy a new toaster.

If you really liked the old one, then the best advice would be to just bury it in the ground.

Repair the damage but don't replace the toaster then the tenant cant cause anymore damage making cheese on toast.

Isn‘t that a classic insurance case?

Turning older toasters upside down can cause crumbs to get stuck in the bimetal and associated bits and bobs, which stops the toaster from turning off. With my previous toaster I had that happen several times until I made sure to tilt it away from the switch mechanism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back