Towing Fiesta - No brakes? IDK!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a few years since I towed another car. They don't seem to break down as often these days. Anyway, today my wife's 2014 Fiesta Eco-Boost 1.0 decided to overheat and empty itself of coolant (mechanic thinks the turbo is shot as it has 'blown a plug' and that's where the coolant is coming from) so I hooked her up to my old truck, and after turning her ignition to 'on' to stop the steering from locking up, we set off... through the rush hour traffic. Anyway, at the first junction, she almost ran into the back of me, shouting that the brakes weren't working. We resorted to starting the car and letting it idle in neutral for the 50-mile journey home!
Is this a quirk of new cars? I've never experienced this before!?

Sponsored Links
No, it's just the brake servo has been evacuated by pressing the brake pedal a few times.
The pedal will now be at the top of it's travel but the brakes are still there....you just have to press the pedal like hell!
John :)

No, it's just the brake servo has been evacuated by pressing the brake pedal a few times.
The pedal will now be at the top of it's travel but the brakes are still there....you just have to press the pedal like hell!
John :)
And that's why I love this forum! Thank you!
My wife found the experience extremely stressful! I did utter a few choice expletives when she slammed the anchors on as I pulled out onto the roundabout! Lol

I'd buy her a bunch of flowers, it was hairy enough back in the day when I was young and had no fear (but the brakes worked) let alone nowadays when brakes are what they are. :giggle:

Sponsored Links
I'd buy her a bunch of flowers, it was hairy enough back in the day when I was young and had no fear (but the brakes worked) let alone nowadays when brakes are what they are. :giggle:
Ah, we're friends again now. She did see the funny side, but I think it was a 'never again' thing. Maybe I'll have to buy her a new car! Lol

I used to get over that when being towed by keeping the car in gear with the ignition off and letting the clutch pedal up to create some vacuum for the servo at the same time as putting my foot on the brake.

I used to get over that when being towed by keeping the car in gear with the ignition off and letting the clutch pedal up to create some vacuum for the servo at the same time as putting my foot on the brake.
Ah, good thinking!

That sounds a bit hairy, what gear would you be in? Surely you'd have to change gears as if you were driving?

That sounds a bit hairy, what gear would you be in? Surely you'd have to change gears as if you were driving?
No. 3rd or 4th. Just leave it in gear, keep clutch depressed, when braking just lift the clutch pedal at the same time as braking, the engine turns over quickly and you can really feel the servo kick in once it gets vacuum. A lot easier than standing on the brake pedal to stop two cars!

No. 3rd or 4th. Just leave it in gear, keep clutch depressed, when braking just lift the clutch pedal at the same time as braking, the engine turns over quickly and you can really feel the servo kick in once it gets vacuum. A lot easier than standing on the brake pedal to stop two cars!
I'm gonna call you next time I need a towing buddy! Lol. We didn't exceed 40mph, so 4th gear would have worked. Why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, the bus driver was giving me the death stare as I was laying on the floor trying to unwrap the towing strap from around the front wheel... because my wife ran over it! Lol

I'm gonna call you next time I need a towing buddy! Lol. We didn't exceed 40mph, so 4th gear would have worked. Why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, the bus driver was giving me the death stare as I was laying on the floor trying to unwrap the towing strap from around the front wheel... because my wife ran over it! Lol
I don’t think I've been flat towed for about 15 years now. The last time a mate towed me, he had a spring loaded solid bar connected to both towing eyes so he did the braking. I once towed a customer over a mile down the road and when I turned right, he went straight on! That was in the early days of steering locks!

Just remember you won’t have any power steering either
You will with cars with electric steering. Last time I was towed in a Megane with electric power steering, there was a procedure for being towed to enable the electric steering to work. Most of my towing has been in old cars without power steering though.

Sponsored Links
Back