Towing Fiesta - No brakes? IDK!?

I believe it's now an offence to tow an immobile vehicle by such methods, unless it's for relocation to a position of safety.
Even using a bar doesn't alter the fact that the vehicle under tow has now become an un-braked trailer weighing more than 750kg.

Possibly still a grey area, but I do know of people being stopped by the plod for towing with a strap/rope & insisted on a transporter or trailer being employed.

Sponsored Links
I believe it's now an offence to tow an immobile vehicle by such methods, unless it's for relocation to a position of safety.
Even using a bar doesn't alter the fact that the vehicle under tow has now become an un-braked trailer weighing more than 750kg.

Possibly still a grey area, but I do know of people being stopped by the plod for towing with a strap/rope & insisted on a transporter or trailer being employed.
Not as far as I know, unless it's motorway.

Depends on how it's being towed, how far, and why, I guess though. Not many people bother with ON TOW sign at the back of any towed car, warning flashing amber lights etc.

Driving through a busy area in rush hour may be looked at differently to a car being towed along quieter roads in off peak hours.

Decades ago, when cars were not as reliable as they (generally) are today I was often called upon to tow as I usually had the biggest/heaviest car.
Things are different today, cars are much harder to control with non-functioning PAS & 4 wheel disc brakes are scary without power assistance.

These days if I use my 4x4 to tow anyone it's only to get them to a place of safety or if they are immobilised by bad weather/road conditions .. in which case I have two rules (1) they decide where to attach the strop (many don't even know where their towing eye is kept) to their car & make the connection themselves (2) accept full responsibility for any damage that may occur despite my care & consideration for their vehicle, as a V8 in low transfer has a lot of grunt.

With age comes wisdom.

Decades ago, when cars were not as reliable as they (generally) are today I was often called upon to tow as I usually had the biggest/heaviest car.

I also seem to remember, that back in the day, it was legal for the person in control of the towed vehicle, not to even have a driving licence.

Sponsored Links
My wife found the experience extremely stressful
Towing with a rope and a newbie at the wheel of the towed car is a recipe for disaster. Some people have mentioned towing poles but they aren't typically strong enough or kept in-line enough during the towing process to perform the sole braking function that slows the towed car. In a smooth towing operation the towed car should be performing most of the braking for the car providing the tow too (the towing driver should light their brake lights with gentle pressure well in advance of needing to stop and the towed driver should brake for both; this keep the towing rope taut and reduces snatching when setting off)

Perhaps consider an A frame if you're going to be your wife's breakdown service, or look for a cheap way of getting breakdown cover such as with insurance or a bank account; it can save a lot of stress

I'm wondering how hybrids and electric vehicles are recovered?
My hybrid has no towing eye, and mustn't be towed (AWD) so it's not just a case of jacking the front wheels off the deck;
I saw an electric Vauxhall combi thing delivered with each wheel on a skate.....imagine dealing with that on a motorway!
John :)

I'm wondering how hybrids and electric vehicles are recovered?
My hybrid has no towing eye, and mustn't be towed (AWD) so it's not just a case of jacking the front wheels off the deck;
I saw an electric Vauxhall combi thing delivered with each wheel on a skate.....imagine dealing with that on a motorway!
John :)

Many lorries, have a drive shaft, where you simply unbolt it at the centre of the hub, then simply pull it out.

I seem to remember that insurance, tax and MOT for the towed vehicle was not required either.

Now you mention it, yes. It came under the trailer rules, when towed. Now, all four wheels, need to be off the road (on a trailer), to escape the rules.

If you pop the half shaft out, it gives the diff an easier time and stops the prop shaft spinning.
Nowt of a job really, just oil everywhere!
John
Always assuming the vehicle has a fully floating axle.
I can remember the days when a broken half-shaft resulting in the loss of the rear wheel !

Towing with a rope and a newbie at the wheel of the towed car is a recipe for disaster. Some people have mentioned towing poles but they aren't typically strong enough or kept in-line enough during the towing process to perform the sole braking function that slows the towed car. In a smooth towing operation the towed car should be performing most of the braking for the car providing the tow too (the towing driver should light their brake lights with gentle pressure well in advance of needing to stop and the towed driver should brake for both; this keep the towing rope taut and reduces snatching when setting off)

Perhaps consider an A frame if you're going to be your wife's breakdown service, or look for a cheap way of getting breakdown cover such as with insurance or a bank account; it can save a lot of stress
#voiceofreason

It's been a few years since I towed another car. They don't seem to break down as often these days. Anyway, today my wife's 2014 Fiesta Eco-Boost 1.0 decided to overheat and empty itself of coolant (mechanic thinks the turbo is shot as it has 'blown a plug' and that's where the coolant is coming from) so I hooked her up to my old truck, and after turning her ignition to 'on' to stop the steering from locking up, we set off... through the rush hour traffic. Anyway, at the first junction, she almost ran into the back of me, shouting that the brakes weren't working. We resorted to starting the car and letting it idle in neutral for the 50-mile journey home!
Is this a quirk of new cars? I've never experienced this before!?

Modern cars have massive servo ratios. Typically around 8 : 1, so without the servo, you'll have to press the brake pedal 8 times harder for the same deceleration. There is a type approval test where you have to achieve a minimum amount of deceleration with a failed servo and the vehicle fully laden, without exceeding a given pedal effort, but the required deceleration is pretty gentle.

On the plus side, you don't die of asbestos dust when you change the pads, and your brakes don't see much of an efficiency reduction when you drive through a flood!

Sponsored Links
Back