Trickle vents - what happens if I don't have them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I'm buying upvc sash and flush casement windows and fitting them myself.
I understand trickle vents are now mandatory for Building Control.
There are currently none in the existing windows.
In practice what happens if I don't get them and then sell my house in a few years (no plans currently)?
What happens in reality?
When I purchased the house in 2015 I honestly didn't give a monkeys about this sort of thing.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting them yourself, you can’t self certificate like a FENSA or Certas registered company can.

And your only route is to pay the local authority to do an inspection and get the b/regs certificate…..but yours won’t be compliant so you won’t get the certificate.

When you sell, the lack of certificate will get picked up and you will need to sort that out….possibly with an indemnity, but you can’t get that if you had an inspection by LA….

Sponsored Links
"When I purchased the house in 2015 I honestly didn't give a monkeys about this sort of thing."

I doubt anyone else will either. In fact I here of people covering them because of draughts.

I find them convenient for ventilation especially in the downstairs bathroom where I must shut the window when going out.
If you ventilate your property daily as you should, those vents become just decorative.
Any lack of fensa certificate will not stop you selling your house.
I bought mine without any and couldn't give a monkey about it.

Or, to list the 'Guidance' from 'Approved Document F'....

Screenshot_20240822-173913_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Along with the exceptions for listed buildings, or those with mechanical ventilation and heat recovery stated above; as long as it can be demonstrated that the ventilation will be no worse than it was before a new window installation,
then trickle vents are not mandatory.

Mandatory is also a strong word, when all the actual law states is...

Screenshot_20240822-175526_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

How you meet that requirement is up to you, although the closer you stick to the 'Guidance', the easier the journey you have with building control!

Your biggest problem is that you are self-installing, so cannot get the magic piece of paper from FENSA or CERTAS. So you either explain to a potential purchaser that they are self-fitted, or utter 'I do not know, it was like that when I moved in' to any questions.

Be sure your quoting the new June 2022 regs, as I understood it there's no if's, but's or maybe's as there was with the previous ruling

"2022 Regulation Guidance: Existing Homes
Replacement windows should be fitted with trickle vents regardless of whether the windows being replaced had vents in them or not if no background ventilation alternative is being installed.
Habitable rooms and kitchens: 8000mm2 EA. Bathrooms (with or without a toilet): 4000mm2 EA.
Addition of a wet room to an existing building: 5000mm2 EA.
Addition of a habitable room to an existing dwelling (if the existing room has less than 5000mm2 EA): 10,000mm2 EA.
If the existing dwelling has continuous mechanical extract ventilation fitted, then 4000mm2 EA is required in habitable rooms.
If it's not technically feasible to adopt the minimum equivalent areas set out in paragraph 3.15, the background ventilators should have equivalent areas as close to the minimum value as is feasible.

In all cases, there is now an Installation & Commissioning Checklist that needs to be completed and handed over by the installer. This includes background ventilation sign off. This Checklist appears in the Approved Document ‘Part’ F, as opposed to the separate DVCG (Domestic Ventilation Compliance Guide), which has been made obsolete."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back