Trickle vents - what happens if I don't have them?

Sponsored Links
Be sure your quoting the new June 2022 regs, as I understood it there's no if's, but's or maybe's as there was with the previous ruling
Yes, 2021 edition, coming into effect June 15th 2022...
Screenshot_20240822-192410_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Out of interest, who was your quote from?

If you are fitting them yourself, you can’t self certificate like a FENSA or Certas registered company can.

And your only route is to pay the local authority to do an inspection and get the b/regs certificate…..but yours won’t be compliant so you won’t get the certificate.

When you sell, the lack of certificate will get picked up and you will need to sort that out….possibly with an indemnity, but you can’t get that if you had an inspection by LA….

What's involved in with dealing with the council to get the certificate?

My new build doesn't have trickle vents so they defiantly are not mandatory.

According to the window company im buying from the new regs came in a year ago.

Does your new build have Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery?

No. Its a Victorian house so plenty of natural 'ventilation' though....

Your biggest problem is that you are self-installing, so cannot get the magic piece of paper from FENSA or CERTAS. So you either explain to a potential purchaser that they are self-fitted, or utter 'I do not know, it was like that when I moved in' to any questions.

Indeed. If I get a neurotic worrier then they wont buy it. Most wont care though.

Sponsored Links
They could be, nevertheless if the new room(s) are habitable then adequate background ventilation must be provided, be that from existing vents, new trickle vents or other mechanical ventilation, probably 99% of the time that will mean trickle vents. But all a moot point as the OP is unbothered by it all.

Does anyone know if i had a single vent with 4000 eu if an inspector would fail as the requirement is strictly speaking 8000?

The reason is related to the looking / fitting of the window.

Evening,
I'm buying upvc sash and flush casement windows and fitting them myself.
I understand trickle vents are now mandatory for Building Control.
There are currently none in the existing windows.
In practice what happens if I don't get them and then sell my house in a few years (no plans currently)?
What happens in reality?
When I purchased the house in 2015 I honestly didn't give a monkeys about this sort of thing.
Thanks.
Very likely no one would notice .

Trickle vents are used mainly because they are the easiest solution. If the property has Mechanical/heat ventilation, ( MHEV ) Positive Input Ventilation ( PIV )or Air bricks then you don't need to trickle vemts but very few properties have those , and unfortunately just saying you are putting Mhev or PIv in won't get you through building regs , it will have to be installed ( and inspected ) before the certificate is issued...hence why trickle vents is the easiest and simplest solution. Personally I'm not a fan of them but hey ho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back