Underfloor heating supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install Undertile heating in the kitchen, does anyone know whether this can be done via a spur of the ring, or if it MUST be from its own dedicated MCB in the consumer unit as a standalone spur?

I think it only needs about 1kw max so I cant see it being an issue from a load point of veiw, and I know it will be better on its own feed....but is there anything wrong with it by the regs?

any help here greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I beleive is should be on it's own circuit. But one of the regulars can probably tell you better than I, not much call for this in Kenya!

Only installed a few....and done it both ways (pardon)......

Either on its own or through a FCU, which-ever is easiest for you....

I recently installed this type of set-up and due to space restrictions
couldn't see a problem with using a a piece of standard flex (13amp) and a plug, one end connected into the control unit the other (plug) into the kitchen ring ......... would this cause concern ?

Sponsored Links
unphased_spark said:
I recently installed this type of set-up and due to space restrictions
couldn't see a problem with using a a piece of standard flex (13amp) and a plug, one end connected into the control unit the other (plug) into the kitchen ring ......... would this cause concern ?

Whilst it is certainly not electrically unsafe, you could argue it is safer as it can be unplugged, the unfortunate part is that it is classed as fixed equipment, for obvious reasons, as such should be installed on it's own supply* and on a permanent supply would be the basic requirement for compliance with BS7671.

* If this was spured off a ring via a Switched fused spur it would comply.

Thanks FWL_Engineer

At the time of the job I mentioned I must admit I overlooked the fixed equipment issue, and whilst in no way would I argue, would an intergrated oven with moulded plug 13A also be classed as fixed equipment ? Where would the difference lie ? Would you suggest I go back and rectify the flooring issue?

Appreciate your thoughts.......

I guess an outside socket supplied by a 5 amp fused plug is totally out of the question ! (tongue in cheek......) :rolleyes: This I have advised the customer needs rectifying immediately.....

TBH unphased, it is something that is easy to forget in a domestic installation. I think we all forget that there is equipment in homes that is certainly fixed equipment, and then there is the transportable equipment (cookers[not built-in], washers, dryers etc) and the portable stuff too.

In some ways a domestic installation can present a more cinfusing picture than an industrial or commercial installation, at least in these there are clear lines of demarcation, people do not willy nilly (normally) move things about as their mood takes them. It is so much easier to differentiate between the equipment types.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back