Upgrade old MCB to RCBO

So can I use all Crabtree RCBO on a different brand board or is that a stupid idea???
It's a bit of a bodge mixing different manufacturers MCBs, RCDs or RCBOs into a different enclosure.
You're not likely to find many people on here who will advocate that.

Different manufacturers devices aren't generally designed to work together so the busbar may not line up correctly and you could end up not clamping down correctly on the busbar, for example. You may have to modify parts of the enclosure which isn't correct.

A CU is quite often only compliant with the regulations if it is populated with the correct switchgear designed for that enclosure. Otherwise, it is not compliant.

Sometimes you'll find a board or switchgear that is identical and manufactured by the same company but with a different name printed on it, and I confess I'm uncertain if the above statement about compliance with regs still stands if you decide to mix such equipment.

I wouldn't do it, personally, even if the RCBO physically fits.

Sponsored Links
With the cover removed seems only 9 is used. The shower and garage wires are standalone as marked in red and white. And if exclude the single light for store thats leaves just these and a new CU does sound the best option.
3 ring sockets
2 lights
1 heater/bolier

I am bit unsure why the Garage MCB with armourded cable has 2nd wire in there. I did not think that was a ring circuit, but there are 3 sockets in the garage. Bit lost where the 2nd cables comes from though

Attachments

• Front.jpeg
    Front.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Top.jpeg
    Top.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 44
  • corner.jpeg
    corner.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 47
It's a bit of a bodge mixing different manufacturers MCBs, RCDs or RCBOs into a different enclosure.
You're not likely to find many people on here who will advocate that.

Different manufacturers devices aren't generally designed to work together so the busbar may not line up correctly and you could end up not clamping down correctly on the busbar, for example. You may have to modify parts of the enclosure which isn't correct.

A CU is quite often only compliant with the regulations if it is populated with the correct switchgear designed for that enclosure. Otherwise, it is not compliant.

Sometimes you'll find a board or switchgear that is identical and manufactured by the same company but with a different name printed on it, and I confess I'm uncertain if the above statement about compliance with regs still stands if you decide to mix such equipment.

I wouldn't do it, personally, even if the RCBO physically fits.
Thank you. So will follow the path of RCBO made by same manufacture.
I have spotted this completed pakage for £140 with SPD. Only issue it comes with 40A...so I will need to replace that with a 50A.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back