Upstairs Flat Supplying Downstairs Flat DHW - Combi Boilers combined?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I had a new combi boiler installed in my First floor flat in Jan this year. Since then I have noticed the boiler coming on and firing up like it does when providing hot water but when we aren’t using water at all, for example, arriving home into the flat when no one is in. I have become suspicious that we might be heating the Ground floor flat’s water (which is a different property and has its own combi boiler). This evening we conducted the following tests:
  • Turned on all hot taps (individually) in Ground floor flat, first floor flat boiler did not come on.
  • Turned ground floor flat shower hot water on; first floor flat boiler DID come on.
  • Turned first floor flat boiler off. Turned ground floor flat shower hot water on and hot water still came on.
  • Immediately after, turned first floor flat boiler back on then turned ground floor shower hot water on; however, this time ground floor boiler did come on and first floor did not.

Both properties have combi boilers.

Based on this, is it possible the ground floor flat’s shower is connected to the boilers in both the ground floor and first floor flats? I read that you can combine the DHW of two combi boilers but not sure if the above situation is an example of this.

I can’t say I noticed this issue before we had a new boiler installed so I don’t know if there was some sort of ‘block’ on our old first floor boiler?

If you are able to help me solve this puzzle it would be much appreciated!! I will get a plumber in but I wanted to get advice as to whether this is even possible and I am not going mad.

Sponsored Links
You may have a pre heat hot water on your boiler, it will come on at random times ,
What make and model is your boiler?

Sponsored Links
You may have a pre heat hot water on your boiler, it will come on at random times ,
What make and model is your boiler?
It’s a Viessmann Vitodens. I don’t think we have that set up though but can check this evening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back