UPVC door sagging on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main front door is sagging on one side (the side opposite the hinges). It leaves a big crack at the top where you can see in/out and leaves a huge gap for cold air to enter the house. There are 3 hinges (not sure what type or what they are called?!).

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I've attached photos of the door, the hinges, and the gap for reference.

20240922_092413.jpg

20240922_092422.jpg

20240922_092438.jpg

20240922_092455.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Have a search for "heel and toeing" on YouTube - example here...

Your hinges (and door surface) look like they have suffered a little from the door sag - they may need some adjustment, once you get the door back to square.

Have a search for "heel and toeing" on YouTube - example here...

Your hinges (and door surface) look like they have suffered a little from the door sag - they may need some adjustment, once you get the door back to square.
I have looked up some of this, but they all seemed to be on full glazed panels. This door looks like virtually the entire door is a 'panel'. Does this mean I'd need to take out the entire door to do this?

And does this only raise the one side then, as the other side seems fine?

Sponsored Links
This door looks like virtually the entire door is a 'panel'. Does this mean I'd need to take out the entire door to do this?
You don't need to remove the door.
Your door is similar to the ones you've seen - instead of a glazed panel in the middle of your door, you have a 'solid' one.
The beading holding the panel on, comes off in the same way (along this joint line)..
Screenshot_20240922-103538_Chrome.jpg

You should be able to adjust the hinges
I'm afraid that won't cure this problem, although it could lessen the symptoms!

A proper heel and toe should sort it out.

You don't need to remove the door.
Your door is similar to the ones you've seen - instead of a glazed panel in the middle of your door, you have a 'solid' one.
The beading holding the panel on, comes off in the same way (along this joint line)..
View attachment 356304

I'm afraid that won't cure this problem, although it could lessen the symptoms!

A proper heel and toe should sort it out.
How easy of a job is it for the layman who is ok with DIY and learning to do new things?

How easy of a job is it for the layman who is ok with DIY and learning to do new things?
Yes, it's a relatively straightforward job for a diyer, if your beading comes off easily.
You can get beading removal tools, or try and push a paint scraper into the joint and gently lever the bead away from the frame, edging the scraper along the frame a little at a time.
Again, there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to 'deglaze a uPVC window' - the principle is the same for your panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back