uPVC patio door not closing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As Title, I have adjusted the hinges quite a lot already, and the outside view shows that the top of the door is about 6mm further away from the companion door than the bottom.
The closing edge is still much lower than the hinge edge and it is rubbing on the plate provided on the base, and this extra drag means it often takes quite a tug to get it to close.

Anything I can do to fix this? It has been ok for many years now, but recently had to start adjusting the hinges more to compensate for the door not being square anymore.
Top-hinge.jpg
bottom-hinge.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Grrr, I have got the beading out, and started trying to repack the corners, it is still warped, but have managed to get more packing in than before.

I first set the hinges to about vertical, and the inner and outer edges near enough plumb. the door still seems to need another 2mm to get it properly square, but I am worried that the glass might break when I apply enough force.

I noticed that the hinges allow vertical lift quite freely, so whilst glass was out I put a packer under the door on the outer (low) edge, then hung on the door at the hinge edge and it did straighten up whilst I leant on it with no glass there. But now it is mostly packed it seems to need a crazy amount of force to try and get another packer into the top edge.

Any advice? At least I have straightened it up a little and hinge adjustments may be enough to keep it from rubbing for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back