Using a mobile hotspot for an ip cctv camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have several wireless ip cameras linked to my wireless router (a BT Smart Hub 2) managed by an app also linked to the same router. It all works fine. I want to put another camera in a place that I know is out of reach of that router. I have a laptop (connected wirelessly to same router) near the location for the extra camera. Can I use the laptop's 'mobile hotspot' capability to connect the camera to it, and, will it appear to be on the same network as the router. I am not sure how ip addresses are allocated by hotspots. It is possible that the hotspot allocates ip addresses from it's own range rather than the range of the router? Help please? Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links

I am not sure, but I would guess that it would use its own IP addresses given that it needs to use its own DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the other devices.

Years since I messed about with this kind of stuff, but I would start by telling the BT hub to only use DHCP to deal with, for example, 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.100, then manually set the laptop to 192.168.0.101 and add the IP address and MAC address to BT hub. If the laptop wifi sharing option puts the camera in a different range, you may be able to set the default gateway for the camera to the ip address of the Hub (eg 192.168.0.1).

Hopefully, someone else that has done this more recently than me will be able to give you concrete advice.

Using an extender/repeater will be easier.

Hi again, thanks for those replies. I actually got the camera to link to the laptop’s mobile hotspot and all worked fine. The laptop did allocate an ip address to the camera. That was the good bit! The camera disconnected later. I am suspecting the laptop is turning off its hotspot. I know there are certain parameters that are changeable to stop that happening such as power management but I obviously have not ticked all the right boxes yet. Back to the good bit, it did work very well, recording etc.

I will plod on for the time being as it would be the ideal solution.

Regards to all readers.

Sponsored Links
Try this

Glad to hear it worked. Now that I think about it, Windows would have to use the router as a gateway otherwise connected devices would not be able to access the internet. That said, do you really want your laptop to be running 24/7? Sure the screen will be off most of the time, but laptop cooling air flow is often less efficient than a desktop PC.

Hi opps, you are right of course, this is an old HP laptop but has an i3 processor so is reasonably quick. It is seldom used, just sits there, but does have a busy fan going on! I use it to back up my main computer.

Thanks to all for your attention.

Steve

Hi again, thanks for those replies. I actually got the camera to link to the laptop’s mobile hotspot and all worked fine. The laptop did allocate an ip address to the camera.

Only one device should be in charge of dishing out IP numbers - one DHCP server. Otherwise, you can get clashes, two devices on the same IP.

Hi Harry, normally I would agree with you but the router and laptop hotspot allocate from different ip ranges so no clash possible. If they were 2 windows p.c.s operating as hotspots then I think they would allocate from the same standard range so your comment would be appropriate in that scenario. Regards Steve.

Hi Harry, normally I would agree with you but the router and laptop hotspot allocate from different ip ranges so no clash possible. If they were 2 windows p.c.s operating as hotspots then I think they would allocate from the same standard range so your comment would be appropriate in that scenario. Regards Steve.

Even then, I don't think it would be a problem, each PC would have been assigned unique IP addresses by the BT hub. The hub doesn't care a jot about the IP ranges used by the two different PCs. Each PC will have its own unique SSID so a camera connected to PC A will not clash with one connected to PC B even if they have the same IP address.

If you run a network scanner in a block of flats, you will find many different routers that have the same IP address as their gateway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back