Using CLS timber for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be okay to use these battens for a shed?
The shed will be lined with ply board and membrane.

There is an option to buy treated timbers but they are twice the price.

Can you please advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're lining the shed with a board and a membrane and isolating the ends of the suds from the damp from the ground you'll be OK. Generally timber frame houses are built with treated timber because they may be exposed to the elements for some time during their construction but if you can mitigate that too you'll be OK.

My only concern is whether it will be out in the elements whilst I am building it. It will take a me a few weeks to water-tight everything.

Yes, well there is that, a tarpaulin over it all would prevent the worst of things but even then if it dries out it'll be OK, it's a shed not a house.

Sponsored Links
I will need to buy the roof membrane to wrap the whole thing anyway. Could use some of that to keep it dry whilst being constructed. On balance, I think it would be preferable to use CLS rather than treated timber, I think. Please shout if you disagree.
Appreciate your advice with this.

Last edited:
I'm looking at my availability over the next month and anticipate that I will need to build this shed in sections. This could mean that the OSB Base sits there for a week before I can start to build the studwork. Again, the studwork may be partially complete before I can conclude this. I am concerned about the weather and how this may affect my OSB and CLS's. I've now purchased all the material and it's sitting in my garage.

Can I please have some advice on this. Thanks again.

There is an option to buy treated timbers but they are twice the price.
...then you are looking in the wrong place. My local merchant charges about +20% for treated over untreated. e.g. https://www.cwberry.com/75mm-carcassing-timber

The technical difference between CLS and carcassing timber is interesting, because these days the carcassing timber I buy all seems to be smooth-planed with rounded off corners and consistently sized anyway.

It's a shed. Tudor times weren't built with treated timber and there are plenty of those still around. So long as you don't spend years building it or we don't suddenly get some biblical 80 day storm your shed will be OK. Or there's always a bit or tarp to sling over it to keep the worst off.

Tudor times weren't built with treated timber and there are plenty of those still around

Nut they had nice resiny pine, oak etc back in the day. When I cut in to an old door you can still smell the resin. Old wood lasted much better. The fast growing red and white wood we get now really does need treatment or it rots out in a few years. Having said that, I often use untreated and then liberally apply https://www.birdbrand.co.uk/shop/woodcare/complete-wood-preserver/

It wont be months. I am worried that it may be exposed to the elements for a few weeks. I was worried that it may be one of those timber types that just balloons with first contact with water. I do have a roll of membrane and can use that for some protection whilst I am building this out I guess.

If you only have our untreated timber then before you effect give everything a good dowsing in the stuff mrrusty recommends or similar.especially the ends.

During the errection time get yourself a big cheap tarpaulin to cover the exposed timber. Unwilling and rolling up membrane won't do it much good.

Could you not build it in sections in your garage and then bolt it all together outside.

I built a small shed like this and it was all framed clad and painted in sections

Could you not build it in sections in your garage and then bolt it all together outside.

I built a small shed like this and it was all framed clad and painted in sections
My wall is not perfectly plumb and therefore, it may be easier to build on the base and against the wall, to help deal with any variations.

On a related note, is plywood harmed by being out in the rain for a few weeks? I need to line my studwork with this and trying to gauge how quickly I need to get the featheredge boards over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back