Using dry stone rocks/stones as gravel path edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've excavated a channel for a garden path and am looking to use a large number of quite large and heavy rocks (size of a football to perhaps 2ft by 2ft) I've reclaimed from an old garden dry stone wall for edging. I've found nothing on how to approach this but my intention was type 1 then gravel.

My issue is when to lay out the edging. Before the first layer of MOT and i may not be able to compact between the gaps in the rocks but i also don't want to risk the MOT breaking apart because the edging isn't containing it from the base.

How should i go about this? It was suggested i should lay half the sub base, lay the edging and then the remainder of the sub base but i wonder if that first layer would break apart because it's just on the ground with nothing containing it.

Thoughts most welcome but I do want to use the rocks... buying dedicated edging isn't really a option.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
DIYNot.png

You are more likely to get help if you post in the appropriate section. The Moderators can move this for you. Click on 'Report' to ask for that.

I say don't overthink it, it's just a garden path. Put the boulders in, lay the sub base/scalpings, then compact what you can.

The downside with using big stones is if you want to cut the grass on the sides, it'll be slower and more fiddly.

I say don't overthink it, it's just a garden path. Put the boulders in, lay the sub base/scalpings, then compact what you can.

The downside with using big stones is if you want to cut the grass on the sides, it'll be slower and more fiddly.
I think you're right. I'm not building a driveway.

I'll be having borders on the otherside of the edging to avoid the mowing issue you mention.

Sponsored Links
You say the rocks are 'the size of a football' but how flat are they, and will you mix n' match them into the path to fit alongside the stone edging?
A weed membrane is often used to prevent too much growth between the stones and a pic of the site would help with further suggestions...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back