Vehicles reporting data back to base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a car, and have noticed that they have data monitoring and engine switch off in the newer ones.

Does anyone know how true this is, and if it's invasive, like location data etc. Also is there a way of disconnecting it, so it can be made a private vehicle.
Cheers, Camerart

Sponsored Links
During Colvid I put my wife's car on a smart charger supplied from an energy monitoring socket adaptor so I could see from PC the state of charge, same time every day the charger would kick in, I assume this was the point when it sent info back to base?

I know when she bought it second hand we subscribed to the app, so she could start car in the house to get it all warmed up ready to drive off, we did not really want the feature, but neither did we want anyone else to be able to remotely control the car, so one years app use would mean we were registered as the user, not the last owner.

There were other options with the app, calling for emergency assistance I seem to remember part of the package, but as said the main idea of signing up was to ensure no one else had control of the car.

As to what Jaguar knows I have not a clue, and I don't really care, all I was worried about was last owner. For years when you take the car to a garage the first thing they do is plug it in and integrate the car, I would not think any modern car could comply with emission laws without some engine management computer. So if you want a car which does not record what has happened, one is looking at some thing pre 1997, that was the date Lada stopped importing into the UK as it did not have fuel injection so could not comply with emission laws. So after that date most cars had some form of computer built in.

If your car has 'E-Call' installed or can act as a Web 'Hot Spot' you can be pretty sure that the car is feeding information back to the manufacturer.

BMW are particularly 'good' at that; That was the way they intended to provide additional by subscription, functions and features* in their cars. My mate (who is a wanna be F1/BTCC driver) thought it was great that he can see the performance and location of his car until he received info about the peak speed the car attained with him driving it...
*Such as heated seats, heated windscreen and the like. They proposed doing that by building all the extras into every car and then if you wanted such feature rather than specify in your order you paid a subscription for it to work. It also allowed second hand cars to 'Switch-on' those features; and switch off working extra's if the new owner didn't pay the subscription.

Reading the Ford adverts they do something similar. I think our new Honda has a couple of SoftWare changes over the air during the time we have 'owned' it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a car, and have noticed that they have data monitoring and engine switch off in the newer ones.

Does anyone know how true this is, and if it's invasive, like location data etc. Also is there a way of disconnecting it, so it can be made a private vehicle.
Cheers, Camerart

Yes, it's "a thing". If you buy a brand new car today, it WILL record some data, and it WILL send at least some of that data back to the manufacturer.

Some of this is a legal requirement. For example, the e-call system that has (by law) to be fitted to new cars, will know your location. However, if you don't crash, it will over-write that data with new data. It's only if you crash, that it sends your positional data to the emergency services. Most manufacturers, (having gone to the trouble of installing the hardware), will also use it for their own breakdown services, so that if you break down while under warranty, they know where to find you.

Likewise, for at least a decade now, pretty much all modern cars will record a rolling (say) 30 seconds of data from most of the sensors that are already there - speed, temperature (engine and ambient), brake line pressures, lighting status, revs, throttle position, etc. Again, this isn't always transmitted anywhere. Manufacturers tend only to use it when doing accident investigations where there is a question mark over whether something on the car failed. It's ass-covering for them. As with positional data, it is constantly being over-written. For all new cars registered in the EU from next month, this will be formalised by regulation. Search for "Event Data Recorder" legislation. The only real difference, is that the car MUST now surrender this information to the authorities, on demand. Large-scale data (anonymised), will be shared with the EU Commission to better target future safety measures. (For example, whether the Intelligent Speed Assist system had been over-ridden or switched of by the driver. The UK is considering adopting the regulation, but whether it does or not, any UK car that is built to the same spec as one that is sold in the EU, will probably have that system anyway.

In a similar vein, the EU Commission is always looking to improve the accuracy of its emissions testing drive cycle for fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Anything registered after about the end of 2020 will be recording the "since factory" average fuel consumption and transmitting it back. Also anonymised, and nothing to do with the car manufacturer, just regulation.

An old university mate of mine now works for the government on things that he'd have to kill me, if he told me about. One of the things he did, which, (obviously!), he didn't have to kill me after telling me ;) was a forensic disassembly of a car. (Real disassembly, mind - like, even the chips in the ECUs)! They found five devices, capable of transmitting data, in one form or another - only three of which, the manufacturer admitted to knowing anything about! This raises all sorts of interesting and scary questions about certain "Far Eastern" component suppliers... It all sounds a bit hard to swallow, but I believe him!

And finally, another mate, who took his BMW on a track day, and afterwards, mysteriously, and I'm sure purely by coincidence ;), started receiving all sorts of adverts from BMW for uprated brake and suspension components...

So.. yes, they absolutely can, (and do) collect certain data and transmit some of it - either by law, or because the manufacturer wants to. Somewhere, in the smallprint that you sign when you buy the car, there will be some disclaimer. For example, I have the right to demand a copy of all the data that my car has sent to BMW. I've done this a few times (really to see what it says about battery health), and I get a big PDF (13 pages!) back, stuffed full of data I can't understand (most of it coded). So, for example, I know that my battery's state of health (last time asked for a download), was "200". (Not that it means anything to me)! Looking online, I found that:

200 = Adequate health status of battery
140 = Limited: Battery replacement recommended
110 = Inadequate: Battery replacement required
80 = Degraded: Battery replacement urgently required

I'm guessing that it's just the percentage of the original capacity left, multiplied by 2. (So 200 means 100% of "as new" capacity and 140 means 70% of "as new" capacity.

Not that I think BMW are any different to any other car manufacturer, by the way...

So if you want to buy a car that is utterly incapable of storing (or transmitting) any data at all, you'd best get one that is at least 20 years old, (and preferably 30)!

To be fair, if you have a smartphone, a lot of this data is already being collected about you in some form, or another - for example, Google's use of data to show how much traffic there is, travel times, and how busy local attractions may be.

I've never been able to work out why one of my local parks becomes surprisingly busy, at around 2am :unsure:

Screenshot_20240609-183134_Chrome.jpg

Google knows everything! :eek:

Indeed. And as you travel up and down the country in anything with numberplates on, there's a good network of ANPR cameras that will track your movements - as will any transaction on a debit or credit card. Not to mention all the CCTV cameras around the country...

I believe at one point the UK had more CCTV cameras per capita than anywhere else in the world, I think we're a little down the ranks now though, other places have caught up, the States, China etc.

Yes, it's "a thing". If you buy a brand new car today, it WILL record some data, and it WILL send at least some of that data back to the manufacturer.

Not that I think BMW are any different to any other car manufacturer, by the way...

So if you want to buy a car that is utterly incapable of storing (or transmitting) any data at all, you'd best get one that is at least 20 years old, (and preferably 30)!
I would guess that they are very much at the forefront. BMW has had a reputation for decades for being very geeky and wishing to push ahead with electronics.

I do, one at 26yrs. & the other fast approaching 37.
I don't have a smart-phone either ;)

ANPR is something I can't do anything about though.

I do, one at 26yrs. & the other fast approaching 37.
I don't have a smart-phone either ;)

ANPR is something I can't do anything about though.

Indeeed. Personally, I'm pretty sanguine about it, but I know it upsets some folk.

Hi,
I got to thinking! Would it be possble to make or modify an existing car with controller, that connected the accelerator and brake to the motor/battery, and do without all of the technology?
C.

Hi,
I got to thinking! Would it be possble to make or modify an existing car with controller, that connected the accelerator and brake to the motor/battery, and do without all of the technology?
C.
Possibly, but I'm sure it would be completely illegal as you would have modified all the protocols incorporated into the homologation, as well, of course, as having to find ways to duplicate the control;s of the ECU and other computer modules. Probaly more work than just a few quiet winter nights.

Sponsored Links
Back