Veneer restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

We have been given an old vanity unit but the varnish is in a pretty poor state. I want to try and give it a new lease of life...

I have previously sanded and applied danish oil to really good effect on a solid wood piece of furniture but tried the same with a veneered item and the sanding ruined the veneer.

Any tips on trying to save this latest piece of furniture? I'm a DIYer btw.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
I guess that you need to start by determining which finish was applied to the veneer. If you rub meths over it and it starts to "gum" up. It may well be French polish or button polish, both are alcohol/shellac based. Household ammonia will be faster but the water in it may swell the the veneer.

Thanks - will white spirit do the same? Don't think I have any meths...

Sponsored Links
Will pick some up tomorrow. If I rub the meths on and it gums up as you say, do I continue with it to remove it or is this just the "testing" stage...

Any tips on this without making too much mess?

Meths will remove french polish, you can aid removal with fine wire wool as well. Re-applying french polish is a DIY job if you can accept an OK but not perfect finish. If you want perfection, you need to go to a professional french polisher. (or at least I've never managed to get a perfect finish.....)

OK so the meths didn't do anything at all. Does that mean it's definitely varnish and that sanding is my only option? Any alternatives help with not ruining the whole thing pretty please?

Should I use a stripper on the varnish first and then sand lightly? I can see that if I try and sand to get all the varnish off, I'll be more likely to go through the whole veneer.

If so, any recommendations on stripper that is strong enough to get off the varnish but gentle enough on the veneer?

Stripper is likely to cause damage. The veneer is only glued on.

Sanding will cut through the veneer on edges and corners.

I think you will have to finely hand sand with a fine garnet paper, only wiping the flat surfaces enough to take the gloss off it and soften deep scratches, and then apply a thin varnish.

Use a spirit-based wood dye to colour in any damage or scratches before varnishing. Do not use a tinted varnish.

BTW, if you ever have a french-polished item that is very dirty, you can use white spirit to clean it and remove old wax, because white spirit does not dissolve French Polish. Furniture that has been in a kitchen may have a greasy and odorous film.

Stripper is likely to cause damage. The veneer is only glued on.

Sanding will cut through the veneer on edges and corners.

I think you will have to finely hand sand with a fine garnet paper, only wiping the flat surfaces enough to take the gloss off it and soften deep scratches, and then apply a thin varnish.

Use a spirit-based wood dye to colour in any damage or scratches before varnishing. Do not use a tinted varnish.

BTW, if you ever have a french-polished item that is very dirty, you can use white spirit to clean it and remove old wax, because white spirit does not dissolve French Polish. Furniture that has been in a kitchen may have a greasy and odorous film.
Thank you - what grade would you recommend I sand with?

Sorry zi don't remember, but the final grit can be so fine it looks like flour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back