Volex and Wylex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Volex and Wylex

Are CU's manufactured by these companies, Wylex for example, really poor, in the eyes of the trade ?

If yes, then how are they poor ?

Have they always been so ?

Should we have concerns when inheriting them in a dwelling ?

P

Some days you are the Pigeon and some days the statue !!

Sponsored Links
My personal feelings about these is that they are sh*te. I would stop them manufacturing consumer units and circuit protection equipment if it was my choice.

However, they do meet british standard (just about), and they aree certainly no dangerous or anything like that.

My opinion is formed from the fact that they do not make every type of MCB/RCBO etc to go in their boards, the manufactured quality is poor and the life expectancy is a lot less than other manufacturers.

If it is in your house, don't worry about it, however whether you upgrade should be a consideration if the board is really old, has no spare ways for extra circuits or is otherwise damaged in some way.

Alternatives to consider are:

MK
Merlin-Gerin
Hager
Crabtree

I will concur with FWL (Please don't hit me, J!!) and the only thing I would add is that Wylex are less s*ite than Volex - in my opinion - by quite a fair way.

Volex belong in the Disney hall of fame 'cos they're MM!!

I thought Wylex were one of the best of the bunch, as there are some lot worse ones out there.......

Indeed Crabtree manufacture the components for Wylex nowadays.

Sponsored Links
Millennium_Boy said:
I thought Wylex were one of the best of the bunch, as there are some lot worse ones out there.......

Indeed Crabtree manufacture the components for Wylex nowadays.

Wylex have never been "one of the better ones", at least not in the 21 years I have been in the contracting business.

Cannot comment on whether Crabtree do or don't make the Wylex kit, but I would be surprised as they are seperate companies and competitors in a tight market.

But even if it is the case, that does not mean they are made to the same quality standards as demanded for Crabtree Branded Kit.

I'll agree with Simon that Wylex are a few rungs up the ladder on Volex, but they are still way below the likes of MK, Merlin-Gerin, MEM, Hager and Crabtree.

Somewhere between Volex and Wylex you have Schnieder and Square D, just above Wylex you have the Hagermeyer Newlec ranges, which are rebranded Hager kit generally, but the Enclosures are the older, less quality models.

FWL_Engineer said:
Cannot comment on whether Crabtree do or don't make the Wylex kit, but I would be surprised as they are seperate companies and competitors in a tight market.
They are not separate companies - they are 2 different brands of Electrium, who own Appleby, Britmac, Crabtree, Marbo, Supelec, Volex and Wylex.

But even if it is the case, that does not mean they are made to the same quality standards as demanded for Crabtree Branded Kit.
That almost certainly is what's going on - 1 company, different brands with different value propositions. It's also very likely that manufacturing operations have been rationalised - that is usually the way to make savings. From the Electrium website:

"During the last three years, the business has undertaken radical change programmes and has achieved the lowest cost base in the industry and a number of well-established leading brands."

So it's probably not so much a case of "Crabtree manufacture the components for Wylex nowadays" as "Crabtree and Wylex brand products are made in the same factory".

I'd love some more specifics though - what is it about Wylex (or indeed Volex) that you don't like, or MK, M-G, Hager etc that you do?

What are the generic features that CUs should, IYHO, have in order to qualify as a quality product?

I'll agree with Simon that Wylex are a few rungs up the ladder on Volex, but they are still way below the likes of MK, Merlin-Gerin, MEM, Hager and Crabtree.

Somewhere between Volex and Wylex you have Schnieder and Square D, just above Wylex you have the Hagermeyer Newlec ranges, which are rebranded Hager kit generally, but the Enclosures are the older, less quality models.
Same principle of 1 company, different brands, different value propositions - Schnieder, Merlin-Gerin, Square-D and Telemecanique are the one company.

FWL_Engineer said:
My personal feelings about these is that they are sh*te. I would stop them manufacturing consumer units and circuit protection equipment if it was my choice.
If I remember correctly you said that when you worked in the US you didn't do domestic?

Compare this to Wylex:
appliance_outlet_breakerbox.jpg

ban-all-sheds said:
They are not separate companies - they are 2 different brands of Electrium, who own Appleby, Britmac, Crabtree, Marbo, Supelec, Volex and Wylex.

I'd love some more specifics though - what is it about Wylex (or indeed Volex) that you don't like, or MK, M-G, Hager etc that you do?

What are the generic features that CUs should, IYHO, have in order to qualify as a quality product?

You are correct about all except Crabtree..at least according to Crabtree anyway, they state that they have an EXCLUSIVE distribution deal with Electrium and that they trade under the Electrium unberella. Sardines and Pilchards perhaps??

OK so they are in bed together..but did they have sex...Jury is still out I'm afraid..not that it is really important.

What do I like about ceratin brands and not about certain others...Oh my, it's is difficult to put into words :)

Seriously, just quality of product, quality of back-up, quality of technical back-up, quality of warranty and the manner it is honoured.

I could type more, but will do it later, it is 04:43hrs and I need to get a few hours sleep..been up all night on a quote!!

Phew ! Not gonna end up with a pile of melted plastic then .... Hopefully !
Working, of course, on the assumption that 'If things don't change, then they'll stay the same'.

Wondered if the old Wylex was, perhaps, the business yonks ago, but just not developed enough since to match the all singing, almost all dancing type of Con Unit ?

P.

pipme said:
Phew ! Not gonna end up with a pile of melted plastic then .... Hopefully !
Working, of course, on the assumption that 'If things don't change, then they'll stay the same'.

Wondered if the old Wylex was, perhaps, the business yonks ago, but just not developed enough since to match the all singing, almost all dancing type of Con Unit ?

P.

Nah, in my 21 years in the Business they have always been the poor redneck cousin.

Maybe 40 years ago they were good, but they have not invested as other have, and their products have not kept pace with their competitors.

It is a shame as they are an English company, most of the others are foreign owned now..even MK!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back