Volume of a 25kg bag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just losing my mind at this a bit..
Why don't any of the 25kg materials of bags have the volume on them? Be it gravel, sand, ballast, cement, etc
Surely that's the most basic info you need to work out how much you need to buy, but they give you the weight instead which is mostly useless
Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Work out what you need from the weight. 1m³ of sand/hardcore/cement etc is equal to about 2 metric tons. What are you trying to work out?
Where did you get that volume to weight figure?

Experience.

For example a 1 ton bag of red chips covers an area of 10m² at 50mm deep. That's 1 ton = 1/2m³

Sponsored Links
Experience.

For example a 1 ton bag of red chips covers an area of 10m² at 50mm deep. That's 1 ton = 1/2m³
Why isn't the volume just printed on each bag?
Why do we have to rely on anecdotal figures from people on internet forums?
Not that I don't appreciate the help, but I'd rather hear it from the manufacturer

Why don't any of the 25kg materials of bags have the volume on them? Be it gravel, sand, ballast, cement, etc
Surely that's the most basic info you need to work out how much you need to buy, but they give you the weight instead which is mostly useless
Am I missing something?
Volume? You mean when wet? Or when dry? Or when compacted?

Perhaps they sell things by weight, because it is bought by weight. They also (rightly) believe that most of the worlds population has access to a calculator.

Volume? You mean when wet? Or when dry? Or when compacted?

Perhaps they sell things by weight, because it is bought by weight. They also (rightly) believe that most of the worlds population has access to a calculator.
Ah I didn't realise you needed a calculator.
Okay, now I've got one of those - what are the figures I need? Are they on the back of the calculator? Are they on the back of the bag? You said all I needed was the calculator... don't tell me I also need some figures from a man off the internet who heard it from his dad who heard it from a bloke down the pub..

Ah I didn't realise you needed a calculator.
Okay, now I've got one of those - what are the figures I need? Are they on the back of the calculator? Are they on the back of the bag? You said all I needed was the calculator... don't tell me I also need some figures from a man off the internet who heard it from his dad who heard it from a bloke down the pub..
See the post above.

Am I missing something?
Where are you buying the aggregates from?

Additionally to some good points above, automated bagging machines dispense measures by weight - it's a fast and efficient process, that would allow the same production line to supply materials of different volumes.

However, for arguments sake...

Here's an example of a company supplying in volume:

Screenshot_20240722-165611_Chrome.jpg

In this case, an equivalent 15L bag of sharp sand, would weigh somewhere between 24 and 25.5kg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back