Wall stripping/decorating questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry if this isn’t the right forum to be posting this question in but it seems like it might encompass several topics. Also apologies in advance for my complete lack of knowledge on DIY stuff.

I’m looking to repaint a room and am in the process of stripping the several layers of paint/wallpaper that have been applied by previous people. I have reached what I’m assuming is the actual wall but it appears to be made from different materials and I’m uncertain how to proceed.

Some parts of the wall are made of a grey material (8694) which I’m guessing is plaster. But there also seem to be big sections which are made of some sort of wood (8695)? What could be the reason for the mix in materials? I’m also not certain if the yellow material is another layer of wallpaper or something structural as taking it off seems to damage the wooden material.

My initial plan when done was to plaster the walls then paint. Would there be any issues plastering over the wooden layer or do I need to go further than that before doing so? Would simply sanding down the walls after stripping it be enough for painting?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8694.jpeg
    IMG_8694.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8695.jpeg
    IMG_8695.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Are the "wood" sections hollow internal walls. Could be lat and plaster construction. If you have removed all the paper then fill any holes or cracks and then sand flat to match the rest of the areas.

Sponsored Links
Are the "wood" sections hollow internal walls. Could be lat and plaster construction. If you have removed all the paper then fill any holes or cracks and then sand flat to match the rest of the areas.
Yes they are. I looked up lat and plaster and thats what it looks like to me. So I would assume there’s no need to plaster everything, just the gaps like you suggested then sand it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back