Water coming through between window and sill (duplicates merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an issue with a window.

It's a non opening UVPC window.

Basically during certain rains and wind directions a bit of water seeps through where the sill meets the frame, (image with black arrow). It mainly comes through the corners

It's not much water and definitely depends which way wind is blowing.

Obviously there is something wrong with the way it has been sealed/installed. It was installed a long time ago.

Short of taking it out/replacing it I am looking for options. I was thinking of putting some silicone sealant where there appears to be a small gap between the sill and window (green arrow). I assume this is where rain comes in when wind drives it.

I've read online that you shouldn't put Sealant at the bottom of windows as this is where they drain. However as far as i can research that's more related to weep holes which I don't think this window has.

Would putting some silicone where the sill meets the window cause any problems? And do people think it will fix the problem?

Attachments

• 20240626_150006.jpg
    20240626_150006.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240626_145835.jpg
    20240626_145835.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240626_145940.jpg
    20240626_145940.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Have an issue with a window.

It's a non opening UVPC window.

Basically during certain rains and wind directions a bit of water seeps through inside where the sill meets the frame, (image with black arrow). It mainly comes through the corners.

It's not much water and definitely depends which way wind is blowing.

Obviously there is something wrong with the way it has been sealed/installed. It was installed a long time ago.

Short of taking it out/replacing it I am looking for options. I was thinking of putting some silicone sealant where there appears to be a small gap between the sill and window (green arrow). This image is from thr outside. I assume this is where rain comes in when wind drives it.

I've read online that you shouldn't put Sealant at the bottom of windows outside as this is where they drain. However as far as i can research that's more related to weep holes which I don't think this window has.

Would putting some silicone where the sill meets the window outside cause any problems? And do people think it will fix the problem?

Attachments

• 20240626_145835.jpg
    20240626_145835.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240626_150006.jpg
    20240626_150006.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240626_145940.jpg
    20240626_145940.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 13
Put silicone along the inside edge where the black arrow is and see how it goes.

Removing the window and running a new bead of silicone where the rear edge of the window meets the sill would be the best course of action, but that will generate more mess/work.

I would suggest using some masking tape either side of the joint to run as a guide, and remove the tape soon after smoothing the silicone to give a clean line.

Put silicone along the inside edge where the black arrow is and see how it goes.

Removing the window and running a new bead of silicone where the rear edge of the window meets the sill would be the best course of action, but that will generate more mess/work.
Thanks. Would it be worth doing the same on the outside where window meets sill? (Green arrowe)

Unfortunately no as that is where the internal drains run to (green arrow) so it has to remain open.
When were these windows installed ? If recently get the installers back or failing that claim on FENSA insurance, quite simply the job has not been completed correctly.

Unfortunately no as that is where the internal drains run to (green arrow) so it has to remain open.
When were these windows installed ? If recently get the installers back or failing that claim on FENSA insurance, quite simply the job has not been completed correctly.
Ok. What internal drains go there exactly? There's no weep holes in the window so what exactly drains there

Your window frames are hollow. There will be holes where screws have gone through the frame, if the runner seals arent perfect, etc.

If any water gets into the frame there are holes in the bottom of the frame (not visible once installed), to allow the water to exit the frame and run out onto the window sill to the outside and then away.

Fortytwo is correct, if you silicone the outside that water can’t escape and you’ll cause more problems.

There are weep holes , Google search concealed drainage and you'll get results leading back to these pages where drainage has been discussed 1001 times

Your leak could well be high on the window and running down inside the frame.Still don’t see any photo of entire window and wall.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back