Water coming through between window and sill (duplicates merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your window frames are hollow. There will be holes where screws have gone through the frame, if the runner seals arent perfect, etc.

If any water gets into the frame there are holes in the bottom of the frame (not visible once installed), to allow the water to exit the frame and run out onto the window sill to the outside and then away.

Fortytwo is correct, if you silicone the outside that water can’t escape and you’ll cause more problems.
Thanks I get you. This is a close up image outside, underneath frame where it meets sill. So even a thin line of silicone (mimicking the blue line) to stop rain driving in between frame and sill would cause issues with the concealed drainage holes? I wasn't planning to put silicone blocking the whole of the bottom of the frame.

Hope that makes sense

Attachments

• 20240626_145830.jpg
    20240626_145830.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 11
Sponsored Links
Your leak could well be high on the window and running down inside the frame.Still don’t see any photo of entire window and wall.?
Your leak could well be high on the window and running down inside the frame.Still don’t see any photo of entire window and wa
The leak certainly seems to be coming between frame and sill at bottom. I test by chucking water on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240627-140300_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627-140300_WhatsApp.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 9
Thanks I get you. This is a close up image outside, underneath frame where it meets sill. So even a thin line of silicone (mimicking the blue line) to stop rain driving in between frame and sill would cause issues with the concealed drainage holes? I wasn't planning to put silicone blocking the whole of the bottom of the frame.

Hope that makes sense
I imagine that anything on the outside like that could potentially cause puddling of water behind the silicone, and the wind will still blow that water inside.

If siliconing the inside doesn’t work, I guess you’ve not got much to lose by doing what you suggest. Ultimately if that doesn’t work/makes it worse then the window is got to come out and be resealed properly at the bottom anyway.

Sponsored Links
A bead of silicone should have been run across the top of the cill , just in front of that lip , where you've got a black arrow, and then the window screwed to the cill creating the water tight seal . There should also be a substantial bead of silicone either end of the cill to stop ( under the window ) to prevent water from going in the cavity. Whatever you do not seal that gap between the cill and the frame that you can see outside , as Crank39 as stated , it looks like concealed drainage , and that gap is where the water drains out. You could seal along the top of the lip ( your black arrow ) but thats not stopping the rain blowing under the frame, and I suspect will start leaking again over time. My suggestion for a minute is to look under the gap on the front, between the cill and frame. The frame should be sat flush on the cill, about 15-20mm back under the frame. If it is not then that is where the problem lies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back