Water seeping along downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've laid down a rubber roof for a shed and water-tightened this downpipe that goes through the shed (via its roof). Here are some pictures of that in case it's relevant:

1725868850555.png

1725868871826.png

1725868894747.png

I've also done two other soil pipes too. All of these were fine for the first two weeks and we had some rain over these two weeks but the above has now failed. Water is seeping through and I can feel it along the pipe inside the shed.

I have noticed that there is water seeping out of the top here, where it then flows along the side of the pipe and hence, hitting the top of the epdm tape all day long! I doubt its designed to take that level of hammering?

1725869051967.png

1725869083780.png

You can see the water trickling along the face of the pipe in the second picture. This is a large roof and there is along of water that is coming down from here. Presumably there is something wrong with this join? Also, what can I do to protect the roof in the meantime?

Can you please advise. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can see the water trickling along the face of the pipe in the second picture. This is a large roof and there is along of water that is coming down from here. Presumably there is something wrong with this join? Also, what can I do to protect the roof in the meantime?

It looks as if that bottom 45 degree fitting, the lower one of the dog-leg back to the wall from the gutter, has been fitted upside down.

It looks as if that bottom 45 degree fitting, the lower one of the dog-leg back to the wall from the gutter, has been fitted upside down.
Your a genius! I compared this to the other side and your suggestion checks out.
I had a guy suggesting that the ground pipe was blocked and hence, overflowing.

Would you expect the epdm uncured tape to fail under these conditions? There is a lot of water that is constantly hitting the top of the tape join but I'm unsure on how resilient they are supposed to be.

I got someone to switch that fitting around earlier. Hoping that stops the water trickling down the pipe and hitting the tape.

Should the tape have withstanded that?

Do I now need to repair this tape and what method should I use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
After re-fitting the join, I thought the issue was resolved but with all the recent rain, I noticed that I still have water running along the face of this downpipe. I think it's less than before but still have a steady flow. I've attached some images.

1727077398039.png

1727077433080.png

1727077636274.png

I appreciate your advice on this. Thanks

Can I get some advice with this please.
Is it possible that my swan neck isn’t compatible with the downpipe? Should I get this replaced?
Can’t think what else it could be.

The drain is clear of moss and debris. The builder has put a camera down the downpipe and that looks clear too.

To be fair, with eyes on site, it ought to be obvious where the water is leaking out. Photos only allow us to make guesses.

Basically, with gutters feeding into fall pipes, the lower end of the part above is a male, which slots into a female socket of the part below it - rather like a funnel arrangement. That way there can be no leaks, unless a section becomes blocked.

You found some numpty had fitted one section of the dog-leg upside down. Perhaps the same numpty may have fitted the other section upside down - hence your continuing leak?

I'm curious about the black (plastic?) material, lashed around the fall pipe - what is the purpose/reason for that?

Incidently - the screw fixing the pipe bracket to the wall, looks as if it may be rusting already. If I'm correct, then those screws will eventually rust away to nothing, but a rust stain down your wall, and the pipe with nothing to retain it. Srainless steel screws, are considered best for outdoor use.

Last edited:
Fair point but as seen on the latest image, the fitting has been switched around and now has the correct ends slotting together. Water is still seeping down from here but only when it rains heavy now. This wasn't the case previously, it always seeped out of here when it rained. The fittings are not blocked as he has pulled the whole swan neck apart and shown me its clear. Where else could it be blocked?

On the other end of the pipe, I have a uncured epdm tape and lap sealant as it goes through a rubber roof.

I am at a loss as to why this still leaks and only when it rains heavy. Would welcome any suggestions that you ma have.

I am at a loss as to why this still leaks and only when it rains heavy. Would welcome any suggestions that you ma have.

Looking at your original photo again, where you had a lower fitting installed upside down. It looks like where gutter, joins the down pipe *called a gutter outlet), the fitting above the one which was originally upside down - That upper fitting, does not appear to meet the outlet properly, and might well be the source of the leak.

Another possibility, is that the gutter volumes are simply not adequate to cope with the amount of water, falling on your roof area, and so it overspills the gutter.

Another possibility, is that the gutter volumes are simply not adequate to cope with the amount of water, falling on your roof area, and so it overspills the gutter.
Would you expect this overspill in other sections of the gutter or just near the downpipe? There’s no sign of gutter overflowing elsewhere.

I can monitor this during the next bout of rain but I thought it was the lower fitting again. Almost certain about this and also, if it was the top most fitting, you’d see a drip straight down and not all the water trickling down the face of the pipe?

I’m still unclear on whether there is any chance that my fittings are not compatible with the pipe. Is that a possibility?

Would you expect this overspill in other sections of the gutter or just near the downpipe? There’s no sign of gutter overflowing elsewhere.

Overspill, will happen where there is the greatest volume of water, which logically should be where the gutter outlet is.

I’m still unclear on whether there is any chance that my fittings are not compatible with the pipe. Is that a possibility?

I have absolutely no idea, this is not my field, I can only point out the obvious..

Overspill, will happen where there is the greatest volume of water, which logically should be where the gutter outlet is.

I have absolutely no idea, this is not my field, I can only point out the obvious..
Where would you go next with this, based on the info I have shared?

Get whom soever, installed that back, to deal properly with the obvious defects in the work done. I would describe it, as not even amateur, at best.
That guttering was installed 10 years ago and the builders are no longer in business. I can see what’s coming in response to that….

Surely based on the info and images I’ve shared, someone can suggest a sensible course of action?

As a reminder:
- I’ve posted images of the guttering and downpipe
- the gutter is clear of debris
- a recent builder has put a camera down the downpipe and confirmed that is clear
- since fitting the elbow correctly, the water only leaks out during heavy rain.

I’m hoping that there are some obvious next steps for someone who understands this.

Thanks again.

That guttering was installed 10 years ago and the builders are no longer in business. I can see what’s coming in response to that….

What more can I, or anyone say - it's a shockingly poor job. It needs someone with the very basic skills needed, to sort it out, it's not rocket science.

Aside from the stupid and obvious error of the fitting upside down, there should be a fixing bracket at the top of the fall pipe, near the fitting.

Surely based on the info and images I’ve shared, someone can suggest a sensible course of action?

You have lots of help, the problems have been explained to you, just how much help do you, or anyone expect from a forum?

The next step, really is to pay someone with some basic expertise, and a tiny bit of savvy, or DIY it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back