Water seeping along downpipe

What more can I, or anyone say - it's a shockingly poor job. It needs someone with the very basic skills needed, to sort it out, it's not rocket science.

Aside from the stupid and obvious error of the fitting upside down, there should be a fixing bracket at the top of the fall pipe, near the fitting.
What’s shockingly poor or amateurish about where we are now? I don’t get this.
The most recent builder has corrected the fault with the fitting and fitted a bracket at the top. He’s also examined inside the downpipe. I’m unclear on why you keep saying that? You the. Go on to say it’s a basic job and not rocket science but then don’t offer any suggestions. What am I missing?

I don’t have an issue with paying someone to come in and have a look at it. That’s exactly what I did as part of the above. It’s still leaking!

I was hoping I could get some advice before I rush out in a different direction.

Sponsored Links
Go on to say it’s a basic job and not rocket science but then don’t offer any suggestions. What am I missing?

You are missing the fact, that you and your builder are there, able to see, and investigate how water might be escaping from the gutters and/or downpipes. On a forum we are limited to descriptions, and photos. A supposed expert, on site, has a massive advantage in diagnosis, yet you are expecting better help on a forum, than from your expert on site. Perhaps what you need, if you lack confidence in your builder, is a better one?

I don’t have an issue with paying someone to come in and have a look at it. That’s exactly what I did as part of the above. It’s still leaking!

Then go back to builder, and explain that you have (presumably) paid them to fix the problem, yet you still have the problem.

Sponsored Links
Your downpipe is blocked or the drain it goes into.
I think so too.
Given that the builder put a camera down the downpipe and a bit further as I understand it, and said it's all clear. I thought it may be an issue with the communal pipe for the rainwater. Called Thames Water and they said, they don't own it. Suggested I speak to the local authority. Called the council and they don't have any maps for this type of thing. It could be connected to the rain water line in the street (uncommon for newer properties apparently) or it could be going into a soakway. The latter would be my responsibility.

They will come and check their drains in the street but not be able to confirm if my rain water flows through to it.

I am tempted to get one of those CCTV "thingies" that connect to a phone and on a day with heavy rain and this water leaking out of this join, pop it up there where the downpipe is and see if it is full. If not, that suggests that the swan neck fitting has fault.

Not sure if I am approaching this in the right way to be honest...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back