Water seeping through knots in summerhouse log wood

I have some shiplap cladding, on the house, the original T&G rotted away The area is very exposed to coastal storms and water cascades down it..

Mine is on counterbattens with roofing felt behind to prevent rain penetration to the inside

and I detailed it with the bottom boards kicked out slightly beyond the base dwarf wall so water would not land on top of it and pool or run inside. the original boards were in contact with the top of the dwarf wall so standing in water whenever it rained, so they rotted.

concrete or wooden bases for wooden outbuildings should preferably lie inside the footprint of the structure so rain cannot land on it and pool. I also treated all my timber with water-repellent stain before assembly so water would not easily soak in even if it ran down the inside.

I suppose you could add a roofing membrane on the inside, though this would be difficult now it has been lined. Or maybe increase the overhang to keep rain off the walls. Try tacking some guttering up.

or even batten and re-clad the outside on the weather side though this would be tiresome. Or you could wait until it rots and then reclad. Is the studwork framing dry?

The bottom boards are going to be wet and rot unless you come up with an alternative. My other shed has a 6-inch stainless strip like a skirting board to protect the bottom edge. luckily only one short end is exposed

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back