Hi J,

I recently went through the whole processes with WW. Our extension was being built near, but not over the shared sewer which also ran parallel to the rear of our property / extension.

They wanted the same for me, also to inspect works to the sewer as we progressed. They were pretty rigid with what they wanted, and also insisted on a survey of the sewers on the highway as we planned to build a porch too; turned out these sewers were over 7 metres from our build but I was still required to fork out for this.

My engineers drawings included ground beams and pad foundations in sections to avoid pressure over the sewer line and we shifted an inspection chamber 400mm back away from the extension.

I hindsight, I think it would have been easier to just apply to have the sewer diverted, moving it further away from the extension. We could have then gone with traditional foundations and the whole build would have been a lot smoother.

Sponsored Links
Hi J,

I recently went through the whole processes with WW. Our extension was being built near, but not over the shared sewer which also ran parallel to the rear of our property / extension.

They wanted the same for me, also to inspect works to the sewer as we progressed. They were pretty rigid with what they wanted, and also insisted on a survey of the sewers on the highway as we planned to build a porch too; turned out these sewers were over 7 metres from our build but I was still required to fork out for this.

My engineers drawings included ground beams and pad foundations in sections to avoid pressure over the sewer line and we shifted an inspection chamber 400mm back away from the extension.

I hindsight, I think it would have been easier to just apply to have the sewer diverted, moving it further away from the extension. We could have then gone with traditional foundations and the whole build would have been a lot smoother.
Thank you Adaminyer- thats helpful to know that they approved pad/ pile foundation. we are 2 houses away from where WW turns into united utilities, so i am keen to get approvals properly so that i dont get in a cross fight between the 2 in case in near future something were to go wrong! any thoughts/ suggestions welcome. Some one in a video, suggested using stepped foundation where drain crosses but my Builders were not sure as a cost effective alternative
thanks again
J

If re-routing the sewer is feasible in your case, I would explore this route and weigh up your options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back