what current will a 1kw microwave pull?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a bit of a cock-up, a double socket in our utility no longer has a supply to it. I can access its cable (2.5mm) in the ceiling, but cant easily get this cable to a convenient place on the rest of the downstairs sockets ring. What I CAN access is the lighting radial that supplies the ceiling lights. I was thinking I could connect the socket to the lighting cable, knowing that the socket would need to be labelled as such and also that it would need to be rcd protected. However, as we use this socket for a 1kw microwave I am wondering if that would pull too much current for the lighting circuit. Is that so?

Sponsored Links
1000 Watts / 230 Volts = 4.34 Amps.

Normally, lighting is on a 6 Amp rated breaker, so you 'could' do as you suggest... But it would depend how much other load there will be on that circuit.

It doesn't sound ideal, and would be best avoided in my opinion, not least, as the more lights there are, the more likely it will be to trip, and when it does, the more lights will go out.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

Normally, lighting is on a 6 Amp rated breaker, so you 'could' do as you suggest... But it would depend how much other load there will be on that circuit.

If a none inverter type m/wave (using a large heavy tranformer), it might well also draw more current at startup, enough to trip the MCB.

No argument with the arithmetic, but one has to be careful, since the 'power' specified for microwave ovens is sometimes the output power, so they actually draw a fair bit more than that.

However, I agree with the rest of what you say, even if it does only draw 4.34 A (even at start-up)

Last edited:
its not that simple 1000w is the output mine is 900w draws 1750w and will draw more in grill mode

look at the ratings plate on the machine or in the bumph in the booklet

Indeed - as I wrote ...
thanks johnw2
checked again and my machine further says"radiation " 1900w which i assume is a grill element now would it be called "convection" with the fan running spreading heat through air movement taking to perhaps 1950w i dont know

thanks johnw2
checked again and my machine further says"radiation " 1900w which i assume is a grill element now would it be called "convection" with the fan running spreading heat through air movement taking to perhaps 1950w i dont know
Wo knows?! Is there not an indication of the 'total power', or something like that?

Surely the power consumption is written on a sticker on the microwave, presumably the same sticker that details other specs like the voltage, serial number etc

I'm not talking about the little 1000W/category E logo that is present somewhere on the front of the microwave; this is the heating power of the magnetron, and it is featured prominently on the front because you need to know it in order to interpret the cooking instructions written on the food you put in. This logo is nothing to do with the true energy consumption of the device, as can clearly be seen here in an example of the label I'm talking about:

1725085943174.png

If the lights are wired in 1.5mm you'll be able to fit a 10 amp mcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back