what current will a 1kw microwave pull?

I suspect that manufacturers like to quote input power if they are able to get away with it because output power is, sometimes, considerably less.
I suppose we can`t blame them for at least being tempted.
Our voltage is really 240V as always was and probably always will be so we might factor that in for actual amps and yes startup can be a surging time.
In the UK world of electrics we tend to keep power circuits and lighting circuits separate and not mix much, ok a lighting circuit might have a fan motor in the bathroom. Other countries might do different and make one circuit cover a room or 3 for both lights and power.
For us a 1KW microwave of any flavour is probably a bad idea at best. That microwave really ought to be on a power circuit of some type.

Sponsored Links
its not that simple 1000w is the output mine is 900w draws 1750w and will draw more in grill mode

look at the ratings plate on the machine or in the bumph in the booklet
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the power factor of a microwave isn't < 1, maybe much less.

Sponsored Links
10 A is probably well enough though, the Scandinavians never do more than 10 A for general socket circuits and use the same appliances as everyone else in Europe.

Does it? I had 11.5A in my head but I'm sure you're correct.
1.0 mm² T+E has a CCC of 11.5 only if installed by Method A (in conduit within an insulated wall)., As has been said, with the (common) Method C (buried in a wall or clipped to surface( it's 16A

1.0 mm² T+E has a CCC of 11.5 only if installed by Method A (in conduit within an insulated wall)., As has been said, with the (common) Method C (buried in a wall or clipped to surface( it's 16A
Yes I didn't check it out sorry, just from memory (obviously bad memory)

Yes I didn't check it out sorry, just from memory (obviously bad memory)
You don't need to tell me a bout 'bad memory' - and I can confirm that it gets worse with increasing age ;)

However, this one is of some potential practical relevance, since the regs no longer distinguish between 'lighting' and 'power' circuits. There used to be a distinction, with the minimum cable CSA for a 'lighting circuit' being 1.0 mm², but with the minimum being 1.5 mm² for a 'power one. It's now just 1.0 mm² minimum for any circuit, so that means that 16A 'power' circuits (e.g. immersion ones) can now theoretically (i.e.compliant with BS7671) be wired with Method C 1.0 mm² T+E.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back