What do you call this sort of spanner?

Wiha do uninsulated T-handled square drivers for considerable less than the VDE ones shown on Jason's link. My local tool shop had a 10mm one in stock last time I looked, for around £6-8 I think.

Sponsored Links
I am looking for a "T" handle with a 12mm square socket on the end. i have an idea I have seen them used on old machine tools in an aero factory. The work "plug" comes to mind. Like a Coach lock handle, but female.

Have they got a name I can search for?

Sounds like what you're looking for is a large carriage key ...

surely a Carriage Key is male, and I need a female one

Good point JohnD, but some carriage keys are also female. I used to have one with an 1/2" square recess - if I still had it I'd send it to the OP, but I can't find it anywhere

Sponsored Links
You wil need a 13 or 14mm to fit, I suggested this back at the start of the thread.

Jason

go to car, dig out socket set, find appropriate sized socket that fits & get T bar of that size.

John - if you can't get a proper 'tee-handle socket) why not make-up a box spanner, length of square steel tube to fit, hole at one end for a tommy-bar?

I don't disagree!

It actually fits a 1/4" Whitworth socket, or the square socket end of a 1/2" extension bar. The AF and Metric sockets are either too big or too small.

I will leave an extension bar by it for now (you can grip it enough to turn by hand)

I agree with Symptoms. A bit of square tube, and drill a hole through it for a tommy bar.

Where to get square tube?.... People throw out all sorts of things made out of the stuff.... TV stands, table legs, plant pot stands, bed headboards, shopping trollies etc. etc.

If you get really stuck, you can even buy it in B&Q :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back