What do you think of this advice, Ban, Breezer & Everyon

Sponsored Links
putting the FCU in the loft is a bit dodgy

can't see any other problems

tried link I get "phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database "

i went to the home page and get the same message for all ask the.........(which ever one i try)

Sponsored Links
What a strange forum. Seems to cover everything in life, but just not particularly well. I thought I would have a look elsewhere on it and they have a thread about pubic shaving...

After seeing that the electrics forum was 50:50 US and UK, I had a look at the "Ask a lawyer" section. Not one single American post in it. Seriously! I'm off to eat my hat.

By the way, "no" to a loft-mounted FCU: what happens if the switch inside the pump fails? The motor starts humming menacingly because it is pushing against the closed shower valve, so you need to turn it off. Where is the switch? In the loft. Great. Especially seeing as you are now wet. Has anyone ever tried climbing an aluminium loft ladder whilst wet and naked? I'll bet it is dangerous.

Well, Adam, prepare to have your Flabber gasted....

It is dangerous just being naked. Don't know about being wet.

Went in the loft naked cos I couldn't be bothered to get dressed! Never again!

I caught my dangly bits on the top rung, and got a fibreglass rash.......
:eek: :eek:

AdamW said:
What a strange forum. Seems to cover everything in life, but just not particularly well. I thought I would have a look elsewhere on it and they have a thread about pubic shaving....
For God's sake don't tell plugwash - he'll ask Amy to post a photo....

kevplumb said:
why couldnt the fused spur go in the cupboard near the pump ?
as you will have gathered im not a sparky :D

Here I guess you reach an interesting point. Isolation devices are, I believe, supposed to be mounted near to the equipment they isolate. So, provided you can mount it in an accessible position, the most sensible place for a shower pump FCU would be in the same cupboard as the pump. Indeed that is where I have installed mine.

However, would it not be prudent to have an isolation device as near to where you use the equipment as possible? :idea: In which case you would want a pullcord near the shower itself.

You could always install both, but I guess this is where common sense comes into it and you install whatever you think looks best whilst still ensuring an acceptable level of safety. As I have already said, I mounted mine in the airing cupboard above the shower pump.

So a 3A FCU at the end of the original 6mm, then 2.5mm twin and earth to the pump.
How does this tie in with the bathroom bonding?

I am assuming that because the original shower circuit was using 6 mm cable the mcb would have been rated in excess of 30A.

My question is whether you can connect a fused connection unit to a radial circuit of any rating. ( assuming that the connections of the FCU will allow for the larger diameter cable )

Well, it is commonplace to fit FCUs and 13A plug sockets on rings that have an MCB of 32A, so a radial rated at 30A with an FCU on the end should not be a problem.

In fact, if it is likely that this radial will be extended later on this is a good idea. However, as a Brit I feel a radial for more than one accessory/piece of equipment is just plain wrong. ;) So I would fuse it at 6A at the CU.

Reason being, the cable is perfectly suited to carrying 30A. The fuse in the FCU will prevent anything drawing more than 13A. There really is no danger in doing this.

I would think that a single set of 6mm T&E would fit in "normal" terminals just fine, after all on a ring you have 2x 2.5mm = 5mm. If you spur off that becomes 7.5mm.

My worries were:

FCU in loft. If the fuse blew or there were a problem, you would not be able to isolate.

There was no mention of RCD's.

I would say put an RCD FCU accessible, then an unfused DP isolator in the loft for maintenance.

Guy recommended a 3A fuse, even though the poster said the mfr recommended a 5A.

Doesn't seem to be the same emphasis on safety as there is here. Or am I being unfair?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back