What do you think of this advice, Ban, Breezer & Everyon

AdamW said:
I would think that a single set of 6mm T&E would fit in "normal" terminals just fine, after all on a ring you have 2x 2.5mm = 5mm. If you spur off that becomes 7.5mm.
Those with a sounder grasp of geometry will realise that it doesn't quite work like that.

To say that because a terminal can accept 3 x 2.5mm² cores it must be able to take a 6mm² is true, but the problem with the reasoning above is that you might therefore think that the corollary is true, i.e. that because 2 x 2.5 < 6, a terminal with a capacity of 6mm² must be able to take 2 x 2.5mm², or that a because 4 x 2.5 = 10, a 10mm² can accept 4 x 2.5mm², and this is not the case:

multiple_cores.jpg

Sponsored Links
And then there is the issue of stranded cables, which can squish a bit

(imagine drawing of little strands packed into semicircle or quadrant)

ban-all-sheds said:
Those with a sounder grasp of geometry will realise that it doesn't quite work like that.

True, my bad :oops: I have not done any work on 2.5mm in ages, all my recent work has been on 4mm. So I have stranded on the brain.

With stranded this is approximately true as you don't need to maintain all the strands in individual cylindrical arrangements, they can be all squished together effectively into one cylinder (although this will of course be squashed by the terminal screw).

ban-all-sheds said:
Those with a sounder grasp of geometry

Cheeky! :LOL: If anyone has any problems involving 4-dimensional and 5-dimensional spatial geometry, I am here to help. Extra dimensions are available on request. ;)

Hmmm, just looked at those numbers again I have noticed a rounding error:

Two pieces of 2.5mm^2 next to each other do in fact have a combined diameter of 3.57mm (not 3.56), when rounded to 3s.f. :p

Sponsored Links
then better get out that little file and round up the terminal hole too

Would anyone care to detail the wiring in of say, a 1.8bar shower pump from new? And how it will tie into the bathroom bonding arrangements.
The discussion above about a one-off situation has left me confused

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back